Pics of 13NC on EcoBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5' x 6' apron on the floor with cement board under the ceramic tile.

The wall behind the stove is the chimney itself (it's 4 flues wide ) with a coating of plaster (original from 1882) with a cement board over that with ceramic tile over that.

The wall and floor are fine!

I already order 22 ga black pipe to replace the galvanized.

Ordered a collar thimble for the insertion of the pipe into chimney

Moving the stove out further even though the wall is sufficient since it is all masonry - there are no studs or wood or combustibles in it to a depth of about 3 feet!

Replacing the 2x6's with cinder blocks or something masonry if I can find something more decorative

My 13NC manual, rev. 10/08, calls for a floor protector with minimum dimension of 48"x48" with an R value of "no less" than 2 unless installed on a concrete floor which then would require no floor protection.

The same manual says that some areas may require 36" clearance to combustable walls.

The same manual is confusing for side, back and corner clearances.

My stove, on my hearth is as follows..........

Floor......constructed of 2x4's on 12" centers with 1/2" plywood over. Then 2 1/2" layers of Micore with 1/2" layer of Durcok nest gen over that. Then it's just latex mortified thinset with porcelain tile over. The floor part measures approx. 6' wide by 4.5' deep.

Wall behind.........Durock next gen screwed and glued over sheetrock. Then thinset and porcelain tile.

My stove is 13.5" off the back wall..............measured from the heat shield on the back of the stove.

The hottest part of my hearth is out in front of the stove just out from the ash lip. Never get so warm that I cannot hold my hand on it though.

Hope this helps OP.

Im all over it - everything ordered.

The 2" x 6" would be my Main concern. The stove is resting on a combustible surface. :(

Pavers are cheap right now (out of season) or possibly free ones off of CL?

Reactions: pen
I think there are more than a few of us Smokey that are relieved to see you are making a few changes here for a safer install.

Status
Not open for further replies.