Pics of wood stove in shed/shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
I'm sure some guys have some "less than legal" installations in a shed.
Care to share some pictures?

I'm looking to put in a small jotul or the likes in my shed (whatever I can find on craigs for as cheap as possible).
It's an old shed, it's built on bricks that are stamped from 1927. 75% of it is rotted away, and it looks to be made with tin siding, or something. I really have no idea.
But anyway, I have to get work done that can't be done in the house.
So I want to heat it.

The shed is worth about $ -5000 to me, because it's so terribly ugly and I would be thankful if it burned down.
But I'm not one to tear down something functional unless it has to be.

So what do you guys use?
Do you still stick with the traditional requirements? Still Class A/Triple wall chimney 3' above?
What about hearth?
Mines going on a dirt floor, so I was thinking of just putting it on blocks and calling it good.

There's a spot where a small window was cut out of it, maybe 2' W x 1' H
Figured I could just grab some steel from work, pop a hole in it and use that as the chimney instead of a thru the wall kit

I'm sure you can find plenty of hillbilly installation pictures on the web. The last one I recall here was one that Craig posted of the chicken coop/ home that he almost burned down with a poor installation.

Ohh now that's what I'm talkin' about.
I mean, the only reason you even need a chimney is for draft!
Otherwise I wouldn't bother with one and just have it vent right out in to the shed.
I like the smell of wood burning anyway.

I would make the stove pipe and chimney out of old coffee cans duct taped together, vented thru the window. Metal is expensive and hard to cut, so block off the rest of the window with cardboard (30 packs of Natural Light work good). If you have draft problems, and you probably will, soak 10-15 corn cobs in diesel and use those as fire starters...that should get things moving along. Make sure you use some bailing wire somewhere too...don't want this to look like some city slicker installation.

Back to the real world....

I have a masonry chimney and some small VC knock-off in my 32x32 shop. Either not enough stove or not enough insulation, because it barely knocks off the chill. I think I need to improve the ceiling...no wait....i know i need to improve the ceiling.

lukem said:
I would make the stove pipe and chimney out of old coffee cans duct taped together, vented thru the window. Metal is expensive and hard to cut, so block off the rest of the window with cardboard (30 packs of Natural Light work good). If you have draft problems, and you probably will, soak 10-15 corn cobs in diesel and use those as fire starters...that should get things moving along. Make sure you use some bailing wire somewhere too...don't want this to look like some city slicker installation.

I have a masonry chimney and some small VC knock-off in my 32x32 shop. Either not enough stove or not enough insulation, because it barely knocks off the chill. I think I need to improve the ceiling...no wait....i know i need to improve the ceiling.

This post needs a picture . . . of at least the first install . . . since I know someone somewhere has done something close to this. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
lukem said:

This post needs a picture . . . of at least the first install . . . since I know someone somewhere has done something close to this. ;) :)

I've never actually seen one, but I'm sure they are out there. I do know someone who uses the corncob firestarters....

Down here in TN, I do know of a guy that built his flue out of old car rims welded together. It's on his shop and seems to work ok, but it sure looks redneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.