Picture of catalytic element partially clogged

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmoleaf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Southeastern Massachusetts
This is my Intrepid's cat after one month of burning nights & weekends this season. As you can see, its surface is about half clogged with fly ash. Note, this is not the Intrepid's OEM cat.
The cat was still firing, but seemed to require a hotter fire than previously to ignite and keep going.

Attachments

• catyl_121507.jpg
    catyl_121507.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 654
Use a soft brush like a paint brush and vacuume it out. If it's still clogged in spots all the way through, try a pipe cleaner.

that was one concern i had about the newer style combustor units with smaller holes.

My factory type honeycomb has never clogged that badly.

are you familiar with operating that stove?
( trying to figure out if thats normal of the finer mesh cats, or operator error)

elmoleaf said:
This is my Intrepid's cat after one month of burning nights & weekends this season. As you can see, its surface is about half clogged with fly ash. Note, this is not the Intrepid's OEM cat.
The cat was still firing, but seemed to require a hotter fire than previously to ignite and keep going.

Yup, I'm familiar with the operation. I'm careful when adding wood not to stir up ash and close the damper slowly when engaging the cat. I'm also fussy in how I clean out ash and start fires.

I just wanted to show a picture of how the replacment type (this is a Clear Skies model)--even though it is thinner than the honeycomb type--can clog up because of the finer mesh.

So, here's the quandry....the replacment is less expensive and supposedly lights off at lower temperatures, but will require at least 2-4 cleanings this seaon. The OEM honeycomb is more expensive and supposedly lights off at higher temps, but is less prone to clog.

When it comes time to replace again, I'm strongly considering returning to the OEM model. Removing the back panel to access the cat for cleaning is a PITA.

right.

mine is so easy to clean, I could get by with a weekly cleaning, heck ive worn gloves and removed it, blown it out, and reinstalled it, while a start up fire is going.

( total of about 5 minutes tops to remove, carry to garage and blow out)

Nice to see real world experience with the clear skies unit though.

Do you obviously NOTICE the lower ignition temps?

and do you notice any reduction in PEAK temps?

thanks for taking the time to post photo and feedback!

Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference in performance either way, other than it needs cleaning more often.

However, the clogging could also be a function of the Intrepid's design. To engage the cat., a damper closes off the primary exhaust path at the top of the firebox. Smoke then exits the firebox from an opening lower down, closer to the firebox bottom where the ashes are located. The cat. is located in that secondary exhaust path, behind the fireback.

Perhaps the same style cat. might clog less in a stove with a differently designed secondary combustion setup.

I see.

Mine is right under the top stove plate, hanging over the firebox, maybe thats why its never looked like that.

very interesting observations on no noticed difference!

elmoleaf said:
Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference in performance either way, other than it needs cleaning more often.

However, the clogging could also be a function of the Intrepid's design. To engage the cat., a damper closes off the primary exhaust path at the top of the firebox. Smoke then exits the firebox from an opening lower down, closer to the firebox bottom where the ashes are located. The cat. is located in that secondary exhaust path, behind the fireback.

Perhaps the same style cat. might clog less in a stove with a differently designed secondary combustion setup.

pulled mine out to blow it out today.

this is about as bad as I have ever seen it.

Attachments

• clogged-cat.jpg
    clogged-cat.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 444
I'd say both are probably a bad choice (not that I'm an expert on cats or anything). You are the second person I've een complaining about the clearskies cat. There is another option that is supposedly highly recommended, good price, uses the new stainless (not ceramic) construction, lights off at lower temps with less clogging, and is immune to thermal shock:
http://www.advancedcatalyst.com/ACS_Woodstove_Catalyst.html

elmoleaf said:
Yup, I'm familiar with the operation. I'm careful when adding wood not to stir up ash and close the damper slowly when engaging the cat. I'm also fussy in how I clean out ash and start fires.

I just wanted to show a picture of how the replacment type (this is a Clear Skies model)--even though it is thinner than the honeycomb type--can clog up because of the finer mesh.

So, here's the quandry....the replacment is less expensive and supposedly lights off at lower temperatures, but will require at least 2-4 cleanings this seaon. The OEM honeycomb is more expensive and supposedly lights off at higher temps, but is less prone to clog.

When it comes time to replace again, I'm strongly considering returning to the OEM model. Removing the back panel to access the cat for cleaning is a PITA.

tradergordo said:
I'd say both are probably a bad choice (not that I'm an expert on cats or anything). You are the second person I've een complaining about the clearskies cat. There is another option that is supposedly highly recommended, good price, uses the new stainless (not ceramic) construction, lights off at lower temps with less clogging, and is immune to thermal shock:
http://www.advancedcatalyst.com/ACS_Woodstove_Catalyst.html

Condar is also offering steel catalysts now:

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/Steel_Honeycomb.html

Status
Not open for further replies.