Pictures from the field

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My flue the last year I burned in the old insert. How I discovered the busted weld hidden behind the baffle letting cold air mix with the flue gases and go straight up the chimney. Not too thick but it smoked up "the hood" when I lit it off prior to installing the liner.

Attachments

• tarcreosote.jpg
    tarcreosote.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 889
5100301925_349337d691.jpg
squirrel house? Nope. Home made "exhausto fan" kinda setup....In a wood box!

Treacherous said:
BrotherBart said:
Just to horn in on your thread a little bit.

"Yes my wood is dry. Why do you ask that?"

My installer/chimney cleaner said he has seen people try to clean something like this off with their slingshots.

A current forum member did it with a pellet gun three or four years ago when the roof was covered with snow. I may be remembering the wrong guy, but I believe he is now a CISA certified chimney sweep. Sometimes you just do what ya gotta do.

I now have a screened caps for the first time in my life. Need be some .22 cal rat shot is gonna be on its way up there before I go sliding my broken down old self off the roof or have to do without heat. If that doesn't work, the .44 mag will take that cap smooth off the top of that chimney. :smirk:

98dingo said:

Pooks? :gulp:

BrotherBart said:
Treacherous said:
BrotherBart said:
Just to horn in on your thread a little bit.

"Yes my wood is dry. Why do you ask that?"

My installer/chimney cleaner said he has seen people try to clean something like this off with their slingshots.

A current forum member did it with a pellet gun three or four years ago when the roof was covered with snow. I may be remembering the wrong guy, but I believe he is now a CISA certified chimney sweep. Sometimes you just do what ya gotta do.

I now have a screened caps for the first time in my life. Need be some .22 cal rat shot is gonna be on its way up there before I go sliding my broken down old self off the roof or have to do without heat. If that doesn't work, the .44 mag will take that cap smooth off the top of that chimney. :smirk:

Or maybe some light birdshot or rock salt from the 12 gauge.

Definitely not an urban solution to the problem. :) I hear ya about the roof.

Treacherous said:
Or maybe some light birdshot or rock salt from the 12 gauge.

The siding. Ya gotta think about the siding on the house. But yeah, I would say "Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!" :p

"Hello. 98dingo I need my chimney cleaned. How much will it cost? I am attaching pics so you can do a good estimate. And don't give me trouble like the last guy I called. Just clean it."

Attachments

• box stove 3.jpg
    box stove 3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 845
  • box stove 2.jpg
    box stove 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 842
  • box stove 1.jpg
    box stove 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 831
OMG!! $2500 to clean it (then setup properly, plus the stupid charge)

BrotherBart said:
My flue the last year I burned in the old insert. How I discovered the busted weld hidden behind the baffle letting cold air mix with the flue gases and go straight up the chimney. Not too thick but it smoked up "the hood" when I lit it off prior to installing the liner.

you lit it off as to clean it? or it lit off and that's why you now have a liner?
looks funky. i've heard of mirrored bedrooms but mirrored flue??????????????

fbelec said:
BrotherBart said:

you lit it off as to clean it? or it lit off and that's why you now have a liner?
looks funky. i've heard of mirrored bedrooms but mirrored flue??????????????

Lit it off to get the stuff out before installing the liner. This was done by a professional idiot. Do not try this at home.

It was a thin enough coating that I knew it would be over pretty quick and the cooling air coming up the flue wasn't gonna let it burn the joint down.

But I repeat, do not do this stuff people.

scary looking flames when you see them blaring out the chimney

98dingo said:

98Dingo, what was the purpose or what was the owner trying to manufacture...I can't figure this one out.

Now you know why the owner manuals for stoves repeat..."Don"t Do This" with big red X's...everywhere in the manual and are written by lawyers.

Thanks
md

The chimney was too short to get a good draft so inside this box is a blower to supposedly help create a draft. Look at exhaustofans and you will get the concept they were going for.

Of course this was plugged into a grounded GFCI outlet for safety, right?

98dingo said:
The chimney was too short to get a good draft so inside this box is a blower to supposedly help create a draft. Look at exhaustofans and you will get the concept they were going for.

98dingo,

WOW! just curiosity...did he happen to tell you before you went up to the roof that he was a electrical engineer and a inventor working for Billy Mayes on a exhaustofans and have you sign a no compete...?

Or did he just let you go up there to find it out?

Great picture by the way!

Thanks
md

No this was a house I was working on for a couple that just a bought it. I didn't get the pleasure to meet the inventor of such an amazing product. But got to tell the new owners that they wouldn't use the Ben Franklin that was hooked to this mess. I did offer to hook them up with a better setup up thou.

5100898202_621c559fe7.jpg
Looks like an Iron Maiden with all those nails sticking out. This is the boss playing in a chase.

BrotherBart said:
"Hello. 98dingo I need my chimney cleaned. How much will it cost? I am attaching pics so you can do a good estimate. And don't give me trouble like the last guy I called. Just clean it."
this looks like an old f-118 that has been cut in half then welded? maybe? back together! wow! i always think i have seen everything....then i log onto this site.

I kick myself for not taking pictures of this call i was on last year. Old guys buys a new stove and it smokes. Swears he did everything by the book. Actually gets persnickety with our staff and I have to drive 1 1/2 hour to get to his place.

I get there and he tells me our stove is a piece of crap. Now picture this installation... 12" vertical single wall pipe then 90d elbow with 3 feet horizontal into another 90d elbow for another 5ft horizontal that goes through a panelling wall (no thimble or insulation) another 90d elbow with about 3 ft horizontal in a 5% *decline* into a 10 X 12 *unlined* chimney. So by the time the black pipe exhausted into the chimney it was only about 6" above the stove!

Oh and of course the stove sits on some loose brick with a shag carpet right in front of the stove door.

Lord give me patience

Status
Not open for further replies.