Pictures of Woodstock's new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Many have probably seen this first one.

Frankenstove-1.gif

This was taken shortly after adding some wood to the stove. Not much wood was added at a time but it did burn for a long time.
Frankenstove-4.gif

Notice the stove pipe. Where you see the screws, there are 2 cats in there!
Frankenstove-3.gif

Side view.
Frankenstove-2.gif

View from the rear.
Frankenstove-5.gif

Control central.
ControlCentral.gif

Interesting shots. Luv the vice grip baffle handle. Is the top part of the test secondary baffle warped?

Adios Pantalones said:
Interesting that we see no soapstone there. They are very gracious allowing people into the lab.

Stone is on the inside of the stove for testing. As it was explained to me it is easier for them to do their mock-ups for design changes using the steel shell to hold it all together than to have to keep working with a real stone box. Can you imagine having to re-cement all the stone joints every time they want to modify dimensions or tweak something? Anyway, for what they are working on - the innards and burn tubes, flow of air and such they don't really need it to look pretty at this point. However there is stone inside to keep the character of the test stove close (closer?) to what the final stove will be like.

Todd said:
Why are the cats in the pipe?

Easier to measure temps etc and make changes (swap pipe sections with different configurations) during testing.

I tell you these guys really seem to have this down.

So for us non-woodstockians, what's the scuttlebut about this stove? Is the big deal that it's going to be larger? Or different in the technology, or looks, or ??
I really like their stoves and I think the direct selling thing is very interesting, certainly they have a following due to the high quality! I do wonder why they have stuck so faithfully to the victorian look of their stoves. It's not something that puts me off, personally or anything, but it just seems like if they did a more contemporary look on one it would open up new markets for them!

ETA, just noticed that Backwoods Savage has answers to some of my questions here, thanks! (Didn't realize there were a couple threads going on same subject!)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59104/

Thanks for the pics Dennis.

Mike has just gotta put up some pics of the lab at ESW. :cheese:

Paging Mr. Holton. Call in the lobby for Mike Holton.

BrotherBart said:
Thanks for the pics Dennis.

Mike has just gotta put up some pics of the lab at ESW. :cheese:

Paging Mr. Holton. Call in the lobby for Mike Holton.

That would be cool! I was thinking that this woodstock stove currently looks like one of the older Englanders though a bit! That why you thought of it BB?!

There sure is a lot more to this building a wood stove stuff than I thought. Looks pretty high tech, hope I don't need a computer to burn it. :lol:

Todd said:
There sure is a lot more to this building a wood stove stuff than I thought. Looks pretty high tech, hope I don't need a computer to burn it. :lol:

That is why I asked Mike to post pics. I have been in their lab, a whole separate building built just for the purpose. Well that, and maybe so a feisty stove engineer doesn't burn down the plant. :lol:

A pretty slick setup. And yes they can sit in a cooler room watching the stove through a big window while monitoring its vital signs on a laptop.

What kinda wood are they burnin in that stove Dennis????? Big splits or small...how long seasoned,,,,just curious.....you provide a wealth of knowledge on this site....it is much appreciated..

I actually was impressed with how low-tech it looked. I mean really, one operator a laptop, a desktop and a handful of dials set up in a temporary fashion. PVC intake pipes, vice grips on the stove, etc. This is not high tech. Very effective yes, but not rocket science. You guys ever been inside a submarine? an airplane?

I'm seeing a boxy non-cat stove with 2 cats in the flue. Where's the magic heat? I do like the big window. Looks about like a mansfield. Do all stoves start out as metal boxes? I'm hoping for an excellent finished product made of cast iron and stone with far more character than the box.

Really great to see pictures.

Highbeam said:
Do all stoves start out as metal boxes?

The great ones do. And stay that way. :lol:

carlo said:
I can't believe he put 2 cats in the stove ....... ;-)

And boy were they pissed. :ahhh:

Since I'm with stupid, what are the bars going across the top left to right? And I believe it only makes sense to manufacture the inside first, and not worry about the outward asthetics. Why waste money on that?

Woodstock stoves as I've seen them are gorgeous.

I realize this stove is a mule, but good lord, the welding on that second pic down...

Uuffda.

All "I" know is...........it wasn't ME who won the FREE Stove Giveaway last week! It was some guy in Massachusetts!!

-Soupy1957

Maybe he wasn't supposed to share?

Joey said:
What kinda wood are they burnin in that stove Dennis????? Big splits or small...how long seasoned,,,,just curious.....you provide a wealth of knowledge on this site....it is much appreciated..

Thanks Joey. They were just burning some small stuff (extremely dry) while we were there. Last winter though they loaded it right up and were almost roasted out of the lab! lol

Highbeam said:
Photos gone eh? Ooops?

Sorry Highbeam. I'm working on that problem.

Soupy, I was thinking the fellow was from NH who won but don't remember for sure.

btw, an interesting thing happened just before the drawing. Several of us were talking and it was brought to Tom's attention that there was a little girl who had been helping a lot that day. Inside, if she saw someone who had not been waited on she would rush around to find someone to help. She also told some folks they could take a tour of the plant. I guess she really worked hard at this and nobody had even asked her; she just did it herself. She also was playing music along with the fiddler.

So, Tom and some other folks (including my wife) headed inside to try to find her. As they did, the girl came out the other door so I hollered at my wife. They got her over there and the next thing I knew Tom was asking if she would like to do the drawing. That was really nice and that little girl has a great future. I do believe that her father works in the production area but I'm not sure.

Pictures are back. Didn't know if maybe Woodstock asked you to take them down. I enjoyed reading about the visit. Long live the cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.