Pictures please of free standing stove setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
Hi all. I'm planning to remove one room in my house (2 walls) which will completely open up my floorplan. I'm then planning to put a new woodstove (still researching) pretty much right in the middle of the house with the stove pipe coming straight out of the top of the stove and into a stainless class A chimney which will go straight up through the ceiling, attic, and through the roof. Our house is pretty small - 1200 sq. ft. with really only about 1000 sq ft. of it 'living space' - so I can't have some big conglomeration of clutter right in the middle of the house - but I think the stove itself will look pretty sweet and function beautifully in such a location.

I'm trying to get ideas about how to 'set up' the general stove area, i.e. where do i put or how do i arrange all the stuff associated with wood burning, like the stack of newspapers, kindling, gloves, poker, etc.

So, I was wondering if those of you who have your stove situated right in the middle of a living space could share some pictures of how you have set up this area.

Maybe all the 'stuff' will have to live somewhere else, not as close to the stove as it is now, but I'd like to see what you guys have come up with.

Thanks!

ok, wow, from the gallery it seems that there aren't too many stoves set up in the middle of a living area. I won't hold my breath on this one then. haha.

Hereare a couple pics of my setup.

Attachments

• Pictures please of free standing stove setup
    DSC03840.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 969
    DSC03842.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 977
It's not a typical installation. Takes a special kind of room to be able to do that. Most of us place our stoves on a wall, in a corner, or part way into a fireplace, because that's what the room allows. I remembered jlow's set-up, but couldn't remember the user name...but right there you've got pics of the prettiest such installation I've seen. (Thanks, jlow...glad you spotted this thread.) Rick

Thanks for the kind words!!

jlow said:

wow! love that setup!

Yes, very pretty installation. Where do you store wood for the stove? so you keep some in a woodbox in the room or do you schelp it inside every time you load the stove? How about showing a shot of the back of the stove, too?

the only thing to make it better would be a top..top exhaust and dual windows!!! hearthstone can you hear me now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

iceman said:
the only thing to make it better would be a top..top exhaust and dual windows!!! hearthstone can you hear me now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hah! You might be able to get them to custom build one for you (git out yer checkbook!). Such a specialized double-sided woodstove might sell one or two in ten years. Ain't gonna ever be a production model. Cool idea, though. Rick

fossil said:
iceman said:

Hah! You might be able to get them to custom build one for you (git out yer checkbook!). Such a specialized double-sided woodstove might sell one or two in ten years. Ain't gonna ever be a production model. Cool idea, though. Rick

you are very right!!! but i bet they could sell about 500 every year.. if the price was within reach! lol i am sure most people do corner or wall installs because there is no option .... just imagine! hell i would be happy to get a basic summit with 2 windows... but i am sure its a liablity thing and code thing as well but imagine how much it would radiant if it had 2 windows and convection on the sides!!!OMG i am about to pass out dreaming about the ulitmate stove!!!!!!! would put BK outta business as everyones wife would choose it over just about every stove!!

Heck, why not an entire firebox made of thick Pyroceram glass with soapstone top? :cheese:

iceman said:
OMG i am about to pass out dreaming about the ulitmate stove!!!!!!! would put BK outta business as everyones wife would choose it over just about every stove!!

lol, my wife didn't get a vote this time around. If you are going to put glass on 2 sides, might as well be 3.

jlow said:

That is the ultimate set up, simply perfect. Man I love that set up.
Lucky bastage. ;)

This is a middle of the room install but the back of a blaze king is so ugly I built a short back-wall and hearth. I think it turned out pretty good.

wolfkiller said:
This is a middle of the room install but the back of a blaze king is so ugly I built a short back-wall and hearth. I think it turned out pretty good.

The back is ugly? What about the front, hahaha, just kiddin bro, nice set up.

Hogwildz said:

I hate it when you beat me to it Hog. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

I hate it when you beat me to it Hog. :lol:
HAHA Old turd, take your damn Geritol!!!!!!!! ;)

Before & After with a pic from the rear of the stove

Attachments

DSC03738.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 484
    DSC03838.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 510
    DSC03844.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 512
oh wow, jlow, thats great. does that beam going across the ceiling mean that you took out a wall there? Very similar to what we are planning to do. We are even leaning towards a soapstone.

and wolfkiller - thats actually a good idea that I hadn't thought of - to do a small 'backstop' behind the stove. I think in my proposed location it would be more appropriate to do a shorter one, maybe a hybrid between a wall and a gate, something semi solid, like a little brick wall but missing some bricks or something, and maybe 30-36" high.

excellent, thanks guys.

I knew jlow would jump in here.
Hadn't seen those last 3 pics yet, VERY nice. I still drool looking at that setup.
I like wolfkiller's setup too, but not sure the BK's have grown on me yet.
Flame suit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.