Piece of stove cement broke off. Does it need to be fixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vatmark

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2017
Nebo NC
The chimney sweep who couldn’t figure out how to clean my chimney somehow broke off what I think is stove cement. Do I need to apply more or is it okay to leave as is. It came off the back right corner which you can see in the pictures.

Also what do I use to affix gasket to the top oval plate on a Jotul F500?

Piece of stove cement broke off. Does it need to be fixed? Piece of stove cement broke off. Does it need to be fixed?

That’s just cement that’s squished out during assembly. It’s normal to have chunks come off occasionally. The oval gasket doesn’t use cement, position it in the channel then bolt the oval down.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Regarding the gasket for the oval plate - here's what it looks like right from the factory. This is for the Oslo 500 V2. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Piece of stove cement broke off. Does it need to be fixed?
    OvalPlate.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 112
That’s just cement that’s squished out during assembly. It’s normal to have chunks come off occasionally. The oval gasket doesn’t use cement, position it in the channel then bolt the oval down.

Is it necessary to bolt it down again. According to the manual for the stove it says to remove those bolts. That they are just used for shipping. If its best to bolt it down again we will. We do have a steamer pot on top of it so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Regarding the gasket for the oval plate - here's what it looks like right from the factory. This is for the Oslo 500 V2. Hope that helps.

Thank you that helps. I see it labeled F with arrow in the picture. Does that mean it's the front? Is there a front and back to it?

Thank you that helps. I see it labeled F with arrow in the picture. Does that mean it's the front? Is there a front and back to it?
That is just "me" jotting things down that *might* be helpful. :rolleyes: When I got the stove, I removed everything I could before my friend and I carried it into the house to get it as light as possible. Since I did not know if there was a front and back, I labeled it just to be safe. I am quite sure that it does not matter!

That is just "me" jotting things down that *might* be helpful. :rolleyes: When I got the stove, I removed everything I could before my friend and I carried it into the house to get it as light as possible. Since I did not know if there was a front and back, I labeled it just to be safe. I am quite sure that it does not matter!

Thanks.

Is it necessary to bolt it down again. According to the manual for the stove it says to remove those bolts. That they are just used for shipping. If its best to bolt it down again we will. We do have a steamer pot on top of it so I don't think it's going anywhere.

They say it's not necessary to reinstall the bolts . . . but I'm a belt and suspenders sort of guy and find it rather easy (even with my short, fat pudgy fingers) to remove the bolt.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
They have went back and forth with that over the years. Some manuals say they are shipping bolts, some manuals don’t specify. I left mine out, but in someone else’s home I always bolt it back down.