Pile of crap wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm from my mistakes I have learned to ask how they deliver it as a full sized pickup cannot carry a full cord ( my very first wood purchase was 70ish sf per load) But a local landscape company actually has 4x4x4 bins they fill and use to measure their cords.

ChrisNJ said:
Hmm from my mistakes I have learned to ask how they deliver it as a full sized pickup cannot carry a full cord.
Sure it can, if you got racks on the side. Of course not all full sized pickups may have adequate suspension to carry a full cord of green wood.

Hurricane said:
Wasn't it buffalo crap that was burned by the people moving west ?

That would constitute crap firefuel

Does anyone out west have any experience burning buffalo,cow chips or any other animal,human scat? Sorry had to ask!

Thanks for all the bad wood stories. Sometimes I think people are trying to get over on me because I am a woman and that I wont notice the difference between oak and pine or fresh cut and seasoned wood. Nice to know I am not alone with having crap delivered to my house.
To answer the question - no they did not get away with taking my wood from my wood pile. They picked up the rest of their wood and left. I hope this taught them a little lesson. They had to pay for gas twice to come to my house and I am sure their bank must have charged them a few bucks for the check that didnt go through.

There is a guy up the road about two miles from me that cuts trees for a living and he has about an acre in front of his house full of split stacked cords. He has a whole processing center set up in front of his house. He must have 60 cords of wood at least on his property. I have observed these cords being seasoned every day since moving here. I could never find any wood for sale signs on his fence nor could I find him advertised anywhere. I just could not stand driving by this wood any longer and I finally drove up to his house and asked if he sold firewood and it turns out he does.
Today he dropped off a very nice cord of wood in front of my house at a great price. It is beautiful. All nice split wood. Dry and ready to go. At least a cord if not slightly more. I dont want to burn it it is so pretty. No tree limbs, no leaves, no green wood, no rotten pieces. Best part was that I knew what I was getting before he even arrived. I intend on being this mans best customer for years to come.

Hey Molly--that's great!! There ARE good guys out there selling wood who take pride in their work and their product, it's just very hard to find them sometimes........But you did the right thing--you found the good wood first, then found the owner!!! lol.

Good luck!

NP

I have run into the crooks I mean firewood sales and delivery professionals several times and I found scrounging is much better. Having said that I did find an old timer that runs a tree service and sells wood by the pickup load for 60.00 for a standard truck bed. He says he does not like delivering and with the pu service people load there own mostly oak, ash, maple and pick the splits they want and load the truck as full as they can. He has huge piles of wood cut to length 2, 3 years old then he splits it and the next year sells it so its all dry and ready to burn even the oak.

Hey, maybe someone should start a thread of "trusted wood dealers" I have seen the same elsewhere for "trusted auto mechanics" if you have a good expirance with a guy, post his info so others can buy. The guy i bought wood from no longer is listed in the phone book and i dont have his phone number... too bad, great firewood too, short on the delivery, but I called him on it he apologized and delivered the correct amount to make it up. I have wood for this year, but not sure who I will buy from in the spring!

Hey Molly,

I too was not happy with my first wood delivery ever. 3 cords that I thought would be more seasoned than they are, and I didn't have the brass to complain. It wasn't fresh cut, but it wasn't what I knew would be best for burning. It was totally my fault for not being more careful, and I know we'll eventually burn it. But it's a pain in the butt to have to go through a whole new delivery and the work that goes along with it.

Good luck with future wood and burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.