1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

pine burning questions

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by 4acrefarm, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    ChaChing is right! I collected a bunch of it from storm damage this year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I've cut small ones, standing with no bark, ready to go. Laying on the ground they may hold a lot of water, even if the bark is gone... especially larger diameter trees that sink into the ground as oppose to lying on or above the soil. I cut a big one up recently that had been down some time. The outer two inches were a bit punky and water-soaked but dried up in a few weeks of sun. The core was solid, wasn't even seasoned and is not drying very fast. I'll save it for next year.
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Thanks, I think I have (enough personal energy to) a partial cord of mixed Eastern Red Cedar and White pine. I can cut/split that and put it behind my shed - stacked but not covered, for next year... or if I run out of hardwood in March 2010.
  4. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Don't know about cedar, but the pine I would cover as soon as you split and stack (unless it's already sopping and you get a long stretch of sun) - it seems to sponge up water and may not help much in March 2010. (If it's for winter 2010/11, it'll dry in the summer.)
  5. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    If pine is stacked off the ground it does not appear to soak up any more water than any other softwood (fir, cedar, larch, tamarack). I do not cover my stacks until the snow falls and then only the tops and 1/3rd down.
  6. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Most of the pine I've been using has been ready in 6 months. Some white pine we had last year was felled in April and left in the round until late fall. It was 18-22% when we split it. Maybe we just have really dry pine...dunno.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.