Pink insulation in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derbydude

Feb 17, 2014
Stamford CT
I pulled out my pellet insert to clean the flue and noticed pink insulation hanging out loose around the edge of the opening (where stove connects to chimney).
Either I hadnt looked or it wasnt there last year. (I did pay to get furnace flue cleaned, so wondering if their vacuum dislodged this).
Anyway, wondering will this be a fire hazard?

Roxul or other mineral wool insulation is what is wanted there as their temperature tolerance is greater than the pink insulation. Roxul withstands temp to 2150F vs. the pink stuff that starts to break down around 1000F. Get the pink out of there! You might want to check the top cap for the same type of insulation if it is not too tough to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.