Pipe Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
Right at the ceiling line the double walled 8" pipe starts. The piece of single walled going through the shield just pushes up into it.

The shield reduces the required clearance from 18" to 9" making the stove to code next to the 2 x 4 header.

Problem is I am best to replace that 2 x 4 header with one made of 2 x 6...and once I do that the stove will not be to code.

I have some different options and would like to hear what/how different people would solve the problem.

An idea I like is to have a steel plate fabricated to go around where the single wall meets the double...then I can bolt the shield easily to the plate and also take it down easily...then have a steel bucket altered to bolt to it as well and drill a hole through the bottom so I can clean and whatever will just fall into the bucket.

I have looked around and don't see any shields that are longer to solve the problem though....

Attachments

• 20150118_152427[1].jpg
    20150118_152427[1].jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 85
Shields usually reduce clearances by 2/3 not 1/2 so your clearance would be 6"

Status
Not open for further replies.