Pipe install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wachusett

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
This may be a stupid question but if I don't ask I may do something stupid. Is a stove adapter necessary or can you connect pipe directly to the stove.
I am trying to keep my installation tight into a corner, connecting directly to a 45 elbow then out and up. If I use an adapter this may push the stove
further into the room requiring a larger hearth pad. Also I know this a code item but why does the exhaust pipe need to be 12" from an outside corner
of the house?

My 4" T is inserted directly into my stove output - no appliance adapter. I think they normally have them, but in my case the stove is installed in front of my fireplace and with an adapter it would have stuck out a bit too far; or maybe the installer/dealer was too lazy. I asked them about it and they said "it all depends on the install and mine is fine." I would prefer that one is on it though. So the answer is that no your do not "have" to have one on but I believe the normal preferred way of installing is to have one.

Yes with the adapter, Plus your stove will have a minimum clearance to the wall. Don't go beyond the minimun clearance, Go out more at least another inch or 2. If inspected they might fail if right at the min!

Don't put the stove to tight to the wall otherewise you need to disconnect the pipe to do basic repairs and cleanings. Give yourself some working room. :)

richkorn said:
My 4" T is inserted directly into my stove output - no appliance adapter. I think they normally have them, but in my case the stove is installed in front of my fireplace and with an adapter it would have stuck out a bit too far; or maybe the installer/dealer was too lazy. I asked them about it and they said "it all depends on the install and mine is fine." I would prefer that one is on it though. So the answer is that no your do not "have" to have one on but I believe the normal preferred way of installing is to have one.

Some tee's have the adapter built into it. I would check as Its best to screw the pipe to the stove connection. You can't use screws with the standard tee!

Thanks for some quick feedback. The stove manual calls for 3" min. clearance off the back corners for a corner install. I am trying for
3"-6" clearance. I will be using 4" pipe per the manual, which with adapter and 45* elbow and trying satisfy 12" to outside corner will probably
push me out of the corner and 8"-9" off corners to walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.