Pipe length to wall...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SummerLover

Feb 5, 2020
Mountains of VA
Hi All! I have a Vogelzang VG5790 which is a beast of a stove. Living on a north bank, beside of a huge creek we needed it. Love it.
Question-
Installation was done by a knowledgeable installer. I was in Arizona when it was installed. How far from the wall does it need to be? It is caddy corner in my livingroom but the pipe he put on back is at least 12" with the added length of a 45° elbow. Seems like it sticks out in the floor a mile. I bought a Durvent complete installation pipe kit with the stove. Is it possible to replace the long pipe piece with a 6" one to push it back some? I found the pipe on Amazon. Photo below. Question- Will it effect the burning of the stove at all to shorten? Will it be safe? Should I just be happy I am not lugging wood in the house by the arm fulls constantly?
I know the saying goes if it's not broke, don't fix it... but my house is quite small. I thought it might be a bit more snug to the corner than it is...

Attachments

• Pipe length to wall...
    Screenshot_20200205-215804_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Pipe length to wall...
    20200205_222325.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 119
I would say you should read the owners manual for minimum clearance for that specific stove, but yes it looks like you could if the manual says you can, I usually put them closer than that as clearance is pretty minimal at the back typically, but they are harder to service closer to the wall on a 45*. That 45* pipe to the manifold doesn't look like Duravent, I don't ever mix up pipe brands and that is a critical location to transition IMO

Reactions: Ssyko
allot of stoves have min clearances on the lid of the hopper as well.. Mine is about 1 inch from combustibles. The issue you installer may have had is the hearth pad. depending on local code it needs to have a minimum around all sides of stove and with it being in the corner like that he may not have been able to get it back far enough... Before you move check your local code or call and ask your inspector if you had to have it inspected for insurance reasons. Also before you move it if you had it inspected call your inspector and see if it will need to be re inspected for your insurance...
That black elbow is that double walled pellet stove pipe same as the rest of your pipe? I have only ever seen black in single wall stove pipe.. but i could be wrong...

If you look at your picture, if you push the stove into the corner more you will have an issue with the pipe lining up. Your thimble will have to move more to the corner also. So i think your kinda stuck where it is.

Thats why I always use vertical pipe inside the building and then exit the wall at a higher location or roof, never a big fan of the direct vent straight through the wall especially positioned at 45* in a corner, easy to clean the pipe but really limits your stove position, that section is the hottest section of pipe on the stove although going through a wall thimble negates the concern, and I see a lot of people terminating it without vertical pipe which has many draw backs aswell(no pun intended), and although minimal you lose that radiant heat coming off the pipe, and the pipe inside the house will look brand new for the life of the stove or more being protected from the elements. Black insulated pipe is available for pellet stoves, but expensive, I have it on my Enviro Windsor, but wouldn't mix up brands as they all have proprietary methods of connecting together to create a safe and secure seal at the joints..

Reactions: Ssyko
As others said you must maintain the clearances to combustibles per the manual. That's the #1 priority. Other than that, a shorter horizontal run would be better as less area to fill up with ash between cleanings. My 5770 is installed the same way, the pipe is a little shorter but it's both a narrower and cooler stove. It would be nice to be able to get back there for maintenance without disassembling the pipe and sliding the stove out. I can do that on mine but I'm built smaller than most.

If you look at your picture, if you push the stove into the corner more you will have an issue with the pipe lining up. Your thimble will have to move more to the corner also. So i think your kinda stuck where it is.
Finally someone gets the complication with moving the stove now; god job Ssyko.

I had asked for the pipe to have a vertical install for draft (what I read somewhere). I was quail hunting in Arizona when the installer came and my son was here. It went straight back. The 45° elbow was a last minute thing on the installers part. 85.00 from the local pellet stove store. The pipe install kit is DuraVent $199.00 from Tractor Supply. My fault for not being here. I still am in love with the heat. I use a wood stove exclusively so this is like Heaven not having to babysit the wood stove! Thanks!