pipe temp on a mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmq

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2006
Hi. Im burning a hearthstone mansfield for the second season now. I cant seem to get the pipe temp on the single wall pipe above the stove over 350 unless the door is open. I have about 3' of steel pipe, 90 into a masonary chimney about 30' high. The chimney sweep told me its good to get the temp up above 500deg twice a day to burn off. I am burning last years split oak right now. Any one else have this problem?

How long is that 90 section? If it's more than 12", it needs a slight rise (1/4" per foot) to the chimney.

How did your sweep arrive at a temp of 500? 270 is the minimum temp to avoid creosote buildup from what I've read. My heritage usually hangs in the 350-400 range. My recent chimney cleaning shows no buildup at all. I don't think I've ever gotten mine up to 500. It just doesn't seem necessary to me.

After the 90 it goes right into the masonary (about 8" deep) then up. My cleaning was fairly clean considering the wood I had to burn last year wasn't seasoned well. Is it nessacary to burn extramly hot after dampering down overnight?

8" is plenty short enough for the horizontal piece to not be much of a factor.

I'm not sure how the physics of the whole thing works, but my understanding is that, assuming you burn the newly added wood over the 270 temp for at least 15 minutes, any potential creosote building stuff would have burned off. Once you close the air down for the night, most of what's happening is secondary combustion. I doubt there's much of anything going up the chimney at that point. There's a lot of experts on this forum who can better explain the combustion and flue gases thing. With a stove like the Mansfield, I'd think your stove functions mostly in the secondary stage. You're probably fine with your 350 temp.

Burning last years Oak ? So the Oak has been split and seasoned for at leat 2 full years correct?
(if not this will be an issue) Got a good coal bed going ?

Welcome

Where on the single wall pipe is the thermometer? How close to the flue collar?

We also run our stove up to a hot temp once a day like what the sweep mentioned. Were you able to get it up that hot last year or same thing?

Where are you located?

Im just finishing up last years oak as we speek.This years has been split and stacked since april (it's been cut into log length and covered since 04). Good bed of coals.Thermeter about 18" from top of stove. I live in Haddam CT (middle of the state).I had the same results last year. (we had just moved into our house,and I diddnt have time to split the wood untill last minute) so I chalked it up to unseasoned wood..Thank you everyone who has already helped in this forum.

How big are your splits?

Well, I dont put the big clunkers in untill overnight or during the day while at work. Ill put smaller wood in while we are home to get the stones hot. I also dont want to overheat the stove. If this stove is designed to run lower temps that is fine.Once it warms up, look out , you are running for a pair of shorts!! This is our first soapstone (bought used with no info). I always had cast stoves.

Hello Jim,

Our thermo is about 1/2 inch above flue collar on single wall pipe. Around once a day, we will run the stove upto 475-550 range for 45 min to an hour then back her down into the 400 range. The highest I have had our stove was 600..
After 4 complete years with the stove no stone cracks or any heat related problems. Our wood is big and min 2 yrs of drying under cover.

Is that oak hissing or spitting any moisture? Being in logs until April and with all the rain we had in the northeast this year have to ask the question. Oak gives up its moisture very slowly.

During start up, have you tried using like 7-8, 2 by 3" dry splits log cabin style to get her rolling? With the masonry chimney (internal or external???) it might take a while to get heated up and get pulling especially with the temps. Last winter when it was in the teens how did it run?

no hissing, and the wood has been under cover. It ran the same last winter. Its a center flue chimney. Ill try burning smaller wood untill I load'er up for the over night. Master of fire, do you have to keep the door open to got the temp up to 500deg? Im not burning it now (it was 63 here today). Ill keep checing for new posts. Thank you..

An observartion your stack temps is a good 150 cooler than stove top temps 500 stove top is 1100 interior fire box good for secondary burning, If you chimney is relitively clean, then you must have decent dry wood and opperating the stove corrrectly. I would advise you to continue what you are doing and not worry about other advice.
My .02

Jim,

According to the manual, try putting the thermo on the top center tile of the stove. Technically this is where it is recommended..Believe you can download a copy of manual on the Hearthstone site if you don't have one.

You will notice a substantial difference in your temps from having the thermo at 18 inches above flue collar and just above.

As elk says firebox temps will be significantly higher than stack...Soapstone is also different from both iron and steel in the way it transfers heat.

You should not have to keep door open to get temps above the 350 level..With door open you are defeating the whole purpose of having the secondary burn system.

Your wood sounds good.

EDIT:::Just re-read your posts...MY .01 put the thermo on the center tile and check what you are getting for temps..

Yeah, what he said. I have one thermometer on the center tile and the other 18" up the stack. Once the soapstone is up to temp and steadily holding the heat, (around 400), the stack is always a lower reading once the initial burn of new wood has slacked off.

I started the stove tonight and cked the temp at the stone. 650deg. pipe temp @ 400, with the door closed. I guess I need to get used to the way this thing burns.(A little different than the cast stove at the camp). Thanks for all the help and info.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Where was the thermo when you took the stack temp? 18 inches up?

When we went from our big steel pre epa monster it took a while to get her figured out..am still learning stuff 4 seasons later.

Status
Not open for further replies.