piping indirect water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
In a true parallel system without storage. By parallel, I mean neither the wood or oil boiler ever feed through each other. How would I pipe a superstor direct water tank?
It is now piped coming off the oil boiler's supply, with its own circ. into a spare return taping in the oil boiler.
The only way I can think of is a set of valves, to manually divert the DHW return to the wood-boilers return, when the Tarm is being used.

You would pipe it just like a baseboard loop, with either its own circ, or its own zone value, (depending on how your heating zones are setup). Think of the coil inside a superstor as a piece of baseboard and you won't be far off.

chuck172 said:
In a true parallel system without storage. By parallel, I mean neither the wood or oil boiler ever feed through each other. How would I pipe a superstor direct water tank?
It is now piped coming off the oil boiler's supply, with its own circ. into a spare return taping in the oil boiler.
The only way I can think of is a set of valves, to manually divert the DHW return to the wood-boilers return, when the Tarm is being used.

Without having my first cup of coffee I'd say the valves will work. The one issue I can think of is keeping the oil burner off during the call for heat but letting the circ run. Mine is wired up from the pump relay to jump start the burner on heat demand. That would have to be disabled. This gave me the idea you could put a 3-way valve in the oil boiler return line with a temp switch on the wood boiler. If there is heat in the wood boiler it would switch everything over. An end limit switch in the actuator could inhibit the oil burner. Just a thought.

The hydronic guys here probably have some great ideas. They'll get to this.

Mike

I have a Biasi install manual that I just looked at. It appears for parallel pipng they just add a circ into the return of the wood boiler controlled by a Honeywell aquastat L4006B set at 180 deg on the outlet. It must direct the water to the wood boiler on call for heat. Make sure you use a flow check in the lines if you do this.

Mike

The Biasi install manual must show a set of valves for when you are only using the oil boiler. That's probably how I'll pipe it for now. Its an easy change for later if needed.

chuck172 said:
The Biasi install manual must show a set of valves for when you are only using the oil boiler. That's probably how I'll pipe it for now. Its an easy change for later if needed.

If you have a fax I'll send you a copy of piping schematic and any details. Just PM me your fax #

Mike

No I don't, but thanks anyway steam man. I'll just leave out valves for it now. Not a biggy.

I'm a bit confused on how to pipe my superstor. Seems like the prefered method is it's own circulater, not zone valve. Its now piped with its return into a spare taping in the oil boiler using a circulator on its return. All my heating zones (4) are now zone valves into a common return header.
My wood and oil boilers are piped true parallel each individually piped into a common supply and return.

My superstor is plumbed exactly the same as my baseboard zones, with a zone valve. No problems in 20 years. The simple storage schematic sticky at the top of this forum shows an indirect DHW tank plumbed this way. I have a more complex approach documented on mys site - link in my signature below.

nofossil, Is the zone valve you use for the indirect water heater a full bore valve. The one I picked up for it is a Honeywell V8043E1020 - 1" Sweat Zone Valve. Big restriction.

chuck172 said:
nofossil, Is the zone valve you use for the indirect water heater a full bore valve. The one I picked up for it is a Honeywell V8043E1020 - 1" Sweat Zone Valve. Big restriction.

The zone valve that I use for my superstor is the standard Honeywell 3/4" valve - pretty small orifice. They do that so that there's enough pressure drop across the zone valve to ensure that all zones will get heat. Taco makes an electronic ball valve (EBV) that's electrically and mechanically compatible, but has a larger orifice. Even with the small orifice and a tiny Taco 007 circulator, my superstor seems to be able to absorb around 100,000 BTU/hr when it calls for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.