Placed order on Progress Hybrid!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
Waulie" date="1315008611 said:
Are you guys going with the ash pan?

I haven't decided yet. I'm waiting to see an actual stove put together first. The ash pan looks so huge and prominent on the images. They told me one could be added later very easily, so if I don't like the way it looks I might just go with ash shoveling for at least a while until (and if) I get tired of it.

I've been wondering about the ash pan option. I wonder if you go without if they replace the slotted cast iron bottom grate with fire brick or soapstone and also if it changes the size of the fire box? I know on my Keystone I could remove that slotted grate and place 3 fire bricks on the bottom and change the fire box size from 1.4 to 1.8cu ft. If they are similar the new stove could jump up from 2.75 to about 3cu ft fire box? Anyways I like the ash pan so much more than shoveling out the old Fireview the Keystone is staying the way it is.

That's interesting. I did not know that.

Yeah, I took it out and 3 standard sized fire bricks layed right in there and gave me about 2" talller fire box. That gives you about the same size box as the Fireview but the Keystones cat is a tad smaller so I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Maybe I'll do a test this year and see what happens.

Which means the Keystone probably puts out as much heat as the Heritage.

Could be, you might want to measure that heritage fire box of yours, I think you will find it much smaller than advertised.

Well, considering I have the Encore sitting next to it, which has the same claimed fire box size I don't think I need to measure to know that 2.3 means different things to different manufacturers.

It's a good stove, but my needs are a little uncommon.

dpgoalie said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Congratulations dpgoalie. For sure we'll be waiting for a review on the stove. Will you be at the Open House?

I will be at the open house, I just haven't decided what day yet.

I am sure many people will be sharing their experiences about the new stove. I have white oak, silver maple, apple, birch and poplar that has been sorted under wraps for two years. I'm excited to try my variety of species.

Be sure when you get to Woodstock to ask if there are others from hearth.com so everyone can meet. Craig usually shows up on Saturday as most others do. We'll probably be there both days.

dpgoalie said:
Waulie said:
Not to hijack, but I'm right there with you. I put my deposit down this morning. Unfortunately, my wood situation is not quite as good. I just moved in in December but I do have 3.5 cords that has been c/s/s since March and April. Luckily, it is 98% half-dad ash so I should be OK this winter. I already have a 2 cord jump on 12/13. We will have to compare notes as I suspect I will have different results this year due to wood.

What color cast you are you getting? I (wife) am undecided.
i have 17 dry cord I am moving into the new wood shed once I put the roof on. I'm excited to move it all in.

I am going with black and i will be heading up to West Leb. to select my stone in the next couple of weeks.

That 17 cord sounds like it might be 17 face cord rather than full cord. If it has not had good time outdoors to dry, that is not good. Best to wait until it is dry before moving it into the shed. I plan on moving 3 cord into the barn probably in mid to late October. That 3 cord will run the full winter.

karl said:
Why is it called a hybrid?

I get a mental picture of it burning 2 hours on a battery and another 8 on wood if you need to heat that long.

Yes, it is a hybrid because it has both secondary and cat. That will probably make it the cleanest burning stove on the market.

Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Congratulations dpgoalie. For sure we'll be waiting for a review on the stove. Will you be at the Open House?

I am sure many people will be sharing their experiences about the new stove. I have white oak, silver maple, apple, birch and poplar that has been sorted under wraps for two years. I'm excited to try my variety of species.

Be sure when you get to Woodstock to ask if there are others from hearth.com so everyone can meet. Craig usually shows up on Saturday as most others do. We'll probably be there both days.

Dennis what are you doing for lodging as this storm caused a power outage here for 3 1/2 days and I lost all my food.. Eating out for that long got expensive too so I am trying to conserve a bit..

Ray

Waulie said:

I haven't decided yet. I'm waiting to see an actual stove put together first. The ash pan looks so huge and prominent on the images. They told me one could be added later very easily, so if I don't like the way it looks I might just go with ash shoveling for at least a while until (and if) I get tired of it.

If you do not get the ash pan you can get the shorter legs which I think will make the stove look better. I don't like the 10" legs but some will.

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis what are you doing for lodging as this storm caused a power outage here for 3 1/2 days and I lost all my food.. Eating out for that long got expensive too so I am trying to conserve a bit..

Ray

Ray we'll be staying at the Baymont Inn which is about 1/2 mile from Woodstock. We stayed there last year and liked it so we're back. I understand there was some major flooding in West Lebanon but that is not close to the Woodstock factory which is high and dry.

HollowHill said:
Waulie said:

Do you think we'll get to see an actual stove before the first batch is built? I can't believe I'm buying one based just on CAD drawings (which I find hard to picture what the stove will really look like from that), but I have that much faith in Woodstock. I've loved everything they've designed so far. However, that doesn't prevent me from worrying that there's a first time for everything :roll: I try to divert my mind from worrying by trying to imagine how the heck I'm going to switch the legs for the plinth base if I can't stand the legs.

Yes, I think you will be able to see the new stove before too long. Methinks they will have a few ready for the open house. And hey Hollow, aren't ladies supposed to worry?

Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie said:
Waulie said:
Not to hijack, but I'm right there with you. I put my deposit down this morning. Unfortunately, my wood situation is not quite as good. I just moved in in December but I do have 3.5 cords that has been c/s/s since March and April. Luckily, it is 98% half-dad ash so I should be OK this winter. I already have a 2 cord jump on 12/13. We will have to compare notes as I suspect I will have different results this year due to wood.

What color cast you are you getting? I (wife) am undecided.
i have 17 dry cord I am moving into the new wood shed once I put the roof on. I'm excited to move it all in.

I am going with black and i will be heading up to West Leb. to select my stone in the next couple of weeks.

That 17 cord sounds like it might be 17 face cord rather than full cord. If it has not had good time outdoors to dry, that is not good. Best to wait until it is dry before moving it into the shed. I plan on moving 3 cord into the barn probably in mid to late October. That 3 cord will run the full winter.

My 17 FULL cord has been stacked in two single rows 6 feet high for the past two years. It's dry. Well, it will be soon once the hurricane rain that hit it dries.

The shed or shelter doesn't have any sides and the floor is made of rough cut 2x4's spaced three inches apart. I actually stand in there to dry after my shower, it works that well. :)

Super!!!!

Backwoods Savage said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ray

Ray we'll be staying at the Baymont Inn which is about 1/2 mile from Woodstock. We stayed there last year and liked it so we're back. I understand there was some major flooding in West Lebanon but that is not close to the Woodstock factory which is high and dry.

Dennis if you have a chance drop me an email with the address etc. for that hotel.. I will probably be going stag..

Thanx,
Ray

You should have it now Ray.

Re: Ash Pan

I think there is some confusion, and it might be on my part. My understanding is if you don't get the ash pan, but get the long legs, you don't actually get the ash pan housing. I think Todd is thinking the housing is there but with a solid plate on top. With the Keystone, I see how you could remove the grate and place firebricks in the housing. With the "that which won't be named correctly", I understand the entire housing/ash pan assembly just won't be there. They will sell the whole thing in a package with the gasket and you can just unbolt the solid plate, heat shield, remove the bricks, whatever, and install the assembly.

I actually like the longs legs. I have long legs and the taller the better. :) But, I don't think I like the look of that massive ash pan housing hanging off the bottom.

I wondering how it will affect the burn. Several folks have found their stoves working better with an insulating bed of ash or firebrick underneath. As long as Woodstock has designed the stove so that the door opening is not right at the firebox bottom, I would be inclined to get it without the pan.

Waulie said:
Re: Ash Pan

I think there is some confusion, and it might be on my part. My understanding is if you don't get the ash pan, but get the long legs, you don't actually get the ash pan housing. I think Todd is thinking the housing is there but with a solid plate on top. With the Keystone, I see how you could remove the grate and place firebricks in the housing. With the "that which won't be named correctly", I understand the entire housing/ash pan assembly just won't be there. They will sell the whole thing in a package with the gasket and you can just unbolt the solid plate, heat shield, remove the bricks, whatever, and install the assembly.

I actually like the longs legs. I have long legs and the taller the better. :) But, I don't think I like the look of that massive ash pan housing hanging off the bottom.

Yeah, your right, they explain it on their blog. The whole housing bolts on with 6 bolts and if you don't want it, there is a solid bottom plate. If you decide later on you can order the ash pan. I never really read that blog til now, just looked at the pics, duh.

Todd, could you tell me the length of the legs on the Keystone? I think that they look fine proportionally and I'm thinking if I take that proportion and compare it to the new stove, I might get a sense of how well balanced the legs are. Thanks.

HollowHill said:
Todd, could you tell me the length of the legs on the Keystone? I think that they look fine proportionally and I'm thinking if I take that proportion and compare it to the new stove, I might get a sense of how well balanced the legs are. Thanks.

8"

dpgoalie said:
As of 10 a. m....... my long wait for my new Woodstock stove is over! It has been ordered!

It should be all ready to pick up by the end of October!

My hearth is empty and the new stove will be running 24/7 after break in.

I do beleive a CONGRATULATIONS is in order!! It is truly an amazing beast (in a good way).

nh_stovebuilder said:
dpgoalie said:
As of 10 a. m....... my long wait for my new Woodstock stove is over! It has been ordered!

I do beleive a CONGRATULATIONS is in order!! It is truly an amazing beast (in a good way).

Why is Woodstock's website down?

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

BrowningBAR said:
nh_stovebuilder said:
dpgoalie said:

Why is Woodstock's website down?

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

That's a mystery to me.. I get the same message here. It was working earlier...

Backwoods Savage said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:
dpgoalie said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ray

Dennis- in regards to the flooding.. yes we had some major floods. In fact the kmart plaza as well as the jc pennys plaza have been shut down. They are in the process of cleaning out all the businesses in both plazas (close to a dozen or so in each) and possibly needing to rebuild. Even I had crossed a few places that had 2-4 feet of water over the road, but I was still able to make it to work. I'm looking forward to seeing you again as well as meeting some of the other members.

Thanks Vaughn. We're looking forward to it too.

nh_stovebuilder, It looks like Woodstock's website has been hacked, you may want to alert your webmaster.

I've noticed its been down quite often lately. I've mentioned it a few times to management but they didn't seem to concerned about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.