Planning on Next Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
I have told myslef that I am going to get a jump start on next year this year! I took an ATV ride around my 50 acre property looking at trees that need to come down. I have quite a few leaners, those are definates. some that are clustered too close together, those are going to be thinned out and a few that I just need to take down anyways. My plan is to drop all of those trees, buck them to my 16" desired length and using the ATV/ttrailer, haul them to my landing area and stack them on pallets. Come spring I will haul them down to the house with the truck/trailer to split and stack them. At least this way they will be in the round already and will get a head start on the drying process. I ahve to have this done, or as much as Ican prior to October 11th when hunting season starts!

build a blind out of rounds.

build a blind out of rounds.

Yup, everything I'm gathering/dropping right now is going towards next season. I'm very envious of these guys who say they're two and three years ahead. I plan to be one of them come next season.

Yeah, I always wanted to be one of those guys!
Rusty

Why not wait a few weeks if you can when the leaves fall off and drop them when they're dormant? When the leaves are off harvesting is a breeze. Anyway you got the right idea about staying ahead so props to you.

Right now I'm spending at least one weekend day a week dedicated to cutting wood . . . some for this winter (end of winter if needed . . . I'm concentrating solely on ash based on folk's opinions about it seasoning relatively quickly) and the rest is going in a pile to season over the winter until Spring.

Leaners, toofers (multiples growing out of one stump), dead standing, and crowded trees- all good to take out if you want to maximize quality production out there. Some advocate taking out the largest trees, but I like a simulated old growth habitat- I even leave some large dead ones on the ground to rot out (pine) as a compost supplement.

The reason is time. Once hunting season gets here (October 15th) I take to the woods with the gun and not the saw.

I was just talking to my neighbor who has heated with wood for years. He says all they do in his family is go out and cut dead trees and they keep in wood without having to worry about seasoning it like others do. He doesn't get but a couple of cups of cleanings out of his stove pipe every year, so it sounds like he's doing something right. He figures he doesn't handle his wood anywhere near as much as other people do, just goes to the woods when he needs it.

thats what I did this year,. I took out dead standing wood to use for this winter. got 2 cord of it and I still have some left

Adirondackwoodburner said:
The reason is time. Once hunting season gets here (October 15th) I take to the woods with the gun and not the saw.

And we take to the wood with the saw after hunting season here.

thats the way to do it. I have aprox 25 cord to split up for next year. plus I have 10 left over from last year. probably should sell some, but I cant bring myself to do that

Last winter, during the January thaw, I went out and cut/ split about 3 cords of standing dead locust! Burned great, hand half a coffee can at the first cleaning this spring!

Hanko said:
thats the way to do it. I have aprox 25 cord to split up for next year. plus I have 10 left over from last year. probably should sell some, but I cant bring myself to do that

Good grief! Either you burn a LOT of wood or you'll have enough stockpiled for your old age!

(I'm assuming you are talking true cords, not "face cords".)

How do you keep that much wood from deteriorating?

Ken

It a joint effort between three of us, plus I run two stoves. Ive been able to buy green unsplit rounds from the same guy for the last four years, and he has had a ton of wood the last few years. Im talking full cords not face. I think we did around 30 cord last year.

this was taken about a month ago. its only half the pile

Attachments

• wood pile 2.JPG
    wood pile 2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 164
if you notice the split stuff at the top of the photo. we have since hauled that stuff away to my sons house. It was all sitting on a bed of wood chips and it was fine. I think the bottom splits were maybe 3 years old. I was getting worried about it, but it turned out to be supper dry hard wood

NOW THT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!NICE!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.