Plastic/Poly Storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdboy9

Jan 21, 2009
Burton Ohio
I was wondering if anyone has used plastic storage tanks for their water storage? I am curious if they will take the heat, I have a 500 here that I don't use anymore and I come across them all the time at auctions. I have a tank that cannot be pressurized so I would have the boiler on a closed loop and use a heat exchanger to heat the storage.

Anyway just wondering what every ones thoughts were?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I and others have looked into such a concept, too, and ended up having to drop the idea.

Polyethylene becomes structurally unsound at temperatures under what you'd aim for in wood boiler storage.

Polypropylene is the one molded monolithic material that _may_ be suited to the task.

Lots of other options exist, though, as you may have seen if you've looked around the prior threads here on the Boiler Room- and folks here are generous with their knowledge and time.

Yeah well hey worth the thought right :) If I was to use something it would be a polypropylene tank, that is what I have now.

I will just keep an eye open for a metal tank of some sort. I read through some of the posts and you are right there is some good info out there... Guess I should have looked first before posting.

Polypropylene might work. This issue is that plastic can take temperature or pressure but not both very well at the same time. Most of the rigid tanks are best used at room temperature or slightly above. 160-180 F tend to get a little dicey.
Polypropylene tanks might do both, but my experience is that they eventually stress crack. Never a good thing. We used to make liners for them when they did.

The other issue is the logistics of getting the tank into close quarters that are sometimes hitting you when installing in a basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.