plate stove info request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voner

Hearth Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
front range, Colorado
So I am moving further along in my research on wood stoves.

I am pretty well convinced that buying a newer stove (last 15 years or so) -- although I will look for a used one is the proper way to go for me. I'm also thinking that a plate stove would be the best stove type out of cast iron/soapstone/plate because he can be taken down and taken apart and moved much easier.

That feature is a primary concern for me. So many of the wood stove adds on craigslist say, "make sure you bring three or four large man for moving the stove"...

So assuming I'm on the right path here -- now here comes the hard part.....I'm trying to assemble a list of high-quality plates does that I might come across. I have are ready determined that I would love to be able to buy a Lopi....

#1 What others plate stoves are up there on the list with Lopi?

Remember -- I do my research -- so I will not use everything said here as a final word -- rather it will be the beginning for me researching the proper stove.

Also --

#2 -- is there any difference in the quality of the blowers that come with various stoves or they all about pretty decent at the level of quality of the stove of a Lopi or other quality brands...

Thanks in advance!

You folks have helped me quite a bit already!!!

timv/ aka voner

For plate steel stoves, you can't go wrong with Lopi (made by Travis Industries), Pacific Energy, Englander, or Quadra-Fire. Any quality plate steel stove is going to be rather heavy (400lbs. +), so be prepared for that. As far as taking the stove "apart," I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. My Lopi Endeavor would allow me to remove the fire brick, the air tubes, and the baffle assembly if I absolutely had to, but I don't "take it apart" for the summer. It sits in the same place, just waiting for cold weather.

Another thing to consider is how many square feet you wish to heat and your clearances to combustibles.

pagey:

thanks for the reply. I was just thinking that having the ability to remove the fire bricks, etc. would make this stove a little easier to install ..... but maybe I'm wrong there. hopefully once it's in place it will stay.

I'm still curious about the blower part -- and recommendations about blowers - and what to watch for.

Thanks again next my smart

timv -- a.k.a. voner

pagey:

thanks for the reply. I was just thinking that having the ability to remove the fire bricks, etc. would make this stove a little easier to install ..... but maybe I'm wrong there. hopefully once it's in place it will stay.

I'm still curious about the blower part -- and recommendations about blowers - and what to watch for.

Thanks again.

timv -- a.k.a. voner

I am not sure how much weight reduction you'll get by removing the fire bricks. The installers left mine in when they brought the stove in, but I'm sure every little bit helps.

I'm afraid I'm not much help when it comes to blowers, as we didn't get one. Send fossil (Rick) a private message. He has a Lopi Liberty with a blower, and he could probably give some insight as to how much heat it moves.

Two of us picked up my Summit insert and moved from a pickup truck to my porch. It was on a pallet, so that made is a little easier

Status
Not open for further replies.