Playin' with the 346

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
She is still relatively new. I have maybe 4 hours on it since I got it after Sandy hit. One of the piles that were dropped off by a tree service was finally dealt with today. Almost all of it was bucked. There is one 7 foot long Black Walnut that is 19" on the small end. I decided to leave that one for now in hopes of milling it. For those who mill, should I hit the ends with water based paint or oil based? I don't want to get the real deal sealant for now.

Attachments

• walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: Dairyman
You dont need to do anything with it for the time being.Unless its in a spot that gets lots of sun & wind,and/or you're gonna let it sit for a year,it wont dry out too fast & crack.Normally you'll lose several inches on the ends anyway,so wait until its milled into individual planks before sealing with anything.

and sealing with parafin works much better than paint

Status
Not open for further replies.