Pleasant Hearth At Lowes ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
precaud said:
raybonz said:
That may be true but I think the effect is neglible

100 lbs difference is unlikely to be negligible - that's 33% off the weight off the heavier one! Chances are, it's quite noticeable.

however I feel durabilty would be the biggest trade off..
Methinks you are applying an "old-school" assumption that "heavier is better." I don't buy that, especially when it comes to efficient heat production. Too many other considerations weigh into the durability issue to say that weight is the dominant factor.

You will get a faster heatup with the thinner steel but it will also have less thermal mass so it will also cool down quicker.. Soapstone stoves are a good example of this plus you get more uniform heat from the larger/heavier heatmass.. This isn't gospel just my opinion.. Quality of construction along with good materials and design will dictate stove longevity (plus proper operation and maintenance)..

Ray

BrotherBart said:
I ordered a new set of baffle boards and gaskets this fall when they were having a sale. Don't need them yet but the price was right and I figure it is better to have them on the shelf than having to try to get them here in mid season if something goes wrong.

I fully agree with that Bart however my wife wouldn't lol.. I tend to be a belt and suspenders kinda guy ;) If something fails once I feel it probably will again.. I have been known to be wrong on this lol.. Gaskets are something that will wear out over time and baffle boards would also tend to crap out too (they are up top, correct?)..

Ray

With the baffle boards it is always a possibility that the poker could slip and knock a hole in one or something. When it is five degrees outside. I don't mind keeping a hundred and twenty bucks worth of spare parts around. Everybody seems to not have a problem getting a central heating unit serviced every year but they want to install a wood stove and figure they can just do nothing but toss wood in it for forty years.

I could have gotten a stove with a stainless steel baffle but for a grand more I got right over it.

raybonz said:
You will get a faster heatup with the thinner steel but it will also have less thermal mass so it will also cool down quicker.. Soapstone stoves are a good example of this plus you get more uniform heat from the larger/heavier heatmass.. This isn't gospel just my opinion..

We can't assume all the difference is in the steel. And not everyone burns 24/7 and wants more uniform heat. I for sure don't. A high-mass stove is just a burden for someone doing zone heating or using a stove to fill in the gaps of a different primary heat source. That is why I say, there are tradeoffs in the high mass vs low mass approaches, and both have their use.

Quality of construction along with good materials and design will dictate stove longevity (plus proper operation and maintenance)..

Agreed!

BrotherBart said:
With the baffle boards it is always a possibility that the poker could slip and knock a hole in one or something. When it is five degrees outside. I don't mind keeping a hundred and twenty bucks worth of spare parts around. Everybody seems to not have a problem getting a central heating unit serviced every year but they want to install a wood stove and figure they can just do nothing but toss wood in it for forty years.

I could have gotten a stove with a stainless steel baffle but for a grand more I got right over it.

I hear ya there Bart.. This stove has spoiled me when it comes to needing parts so it's something I need to come to grips with.. I do wonder if you could add some sheet stainless plate or similar to protect that fiber board.. Another member has the newer version of my stove and it seems pretty solid but better designed in a few ways (think his name is Paxton aka Chris ?) and he bought it rebuilt with good luck so far.. For now I keep watching Craigslist and researching as time is on my side..

Ray

precaud said:
raybonz said:
You will get a faster heatup with the thinner steel but it will also have less thermal mass so it will also cool down quicker.. Soapstone stoves are a good example of this plus you get more uniform heat from the larger/heavier heatmass.. This isn't gospel just my opinion..

We can't assume all the difference is in the steel. And not everyone burns 24/7 and wants more uniform heat. I for sure don't. A high-mass stove is just a burden for someone doing zone heating or using a stove to fill in the gaps of a different primary heat source. That is why I say, there are tradeoffs in the high mass vs low mass approaches, and both have their use.

Quality of construction along with good materials and design will dictate stove longevity (plus proper operation and maintenance)..

Agreed!

I hear ya loud and clear.. I also understand that your heating is primarily a night time thing so it makes sense to me.. What matters is we can all get what we need and are not restricted to one way of doing things.. Even here late in Nov. using the stove is sporadic at best as this month has been relatively mild so far with day time temps and sun warming the house during the day.. Glad you gave some valid points they will be a considered when and if the time comes..

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:
dispatcher101 said:
A catalytic stove uses a catalytic converter to help burn off particulate matter not completely burned during the initial burning process. These stoves can provide good performance and burn times; but are notorious for sometimes being difficult to operate correctly.

Whoa!!!! Notorious for being difficult?!!!! Not so at all. Maybe years ago they were a bit of a problem but not today.

+1 What Savage said. (chuckle) I knew that line would get a rise. From the user experiences I've read here, modern cat stoves are as easy and fiddle-free as thermal secondary burners, if not more so.

raybonz said:
I do wonder if you could add some sheet stainless plate or similar to protect that fiber board..

It would just warp. Better to just throw the poker away and use a six dollar pair of tongs. Three dollars if you get them at Lowe's at the end of the season. I have never seen anything in a wood stove that needs poking.

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
I do wonder if you could add some sheet stainless plate or similar to protect that fiber board..

It would just warp. Better to just throw the poker away and use a six dollar pair of tongs. Three dollars if you get them at Lowe's at the end of the season. I have never seen anything in a wood stove that needs poking.

Hard to argue with you Bart very good point and comical at the same time lol...

Ray

FyreBug said:
GHP are made in China and a knock-off of North American made Century stoves...

The stoves are made in Huntington, Indiana. You can stop spreading the China noise and bad mouthing a competitor any time now.

BrotherBart said:
FyreBug said:
GHP are made in China and a knock-off of North American made Century stoves...

The stoves are made in Huntington, Indiana. You can stop spreading the China noise and bad mouthing a competitor any time now.

Bart,

A little off subject but do you think your stove would be too large for a 1632 sq. ft. home? I like a big firebox and long burn times but don't want to run with the windows open..

Ray

It could get a little warm around there. You can put a half load in the stove and it burns about the same amount of time as a smaller stove. But the large size of the sucker radiates a lot of heat anyway. Burning a half load E/W should give nice even heat for a good while. You are right. Having lots of working room in the firebox is really nice. And being able to load N/S or E/W because it is basically square. Same with the PE stoves, some of the Napoleons, Quads etc.

You might want to take a look at the Woodstock stoves. A range of sizes and all with cats. And they seem to put them on sale often. In fact there shouldn't be anything wrong with the new Dutchwest cat stoves. It appears that the fancy non-cat technology of theirs is where the problems have occurred.

Lotta good stoves out there. And not a single one is the perfect one.

BrotherBart said:
It could get a little warm around there. You can put a half load in the stove and it burns about the same amount of time as a smaller stove. But the large size of the sucker radiates a lot of heat anyway. Burning a half load E/W should give nice even heat for a good while. You are right. Having lots of working room in the firebox is really nice. And being able to load N/S or E/W because it is basically square. Same with the PE stoves, some of the Napoleons, Quads etc.

You might want to take a look at the Woodstock stoves. A range of sizes and all with cats. And they seem to put them on sale often. In fact there shouldn't be anything wrong with the new Dutchwest cat stoves. It appears that the fancy non-cat technology of theirs is where the problems have occurred.

Lotta good stoves out there. And not a single one is the perfect one.

As always good advice Bart! To be honest I really like the Woodstock soapstones but they say up to 1600 sq. ft. so my concern is will they be able to heat this house without running flat out.. I can save some money by driving there and picking it up.. Maybe Dennis or Todd can tell me how it would perform in this situation. May even look at the new Dutchwest cat stoves too.. I like cat stoves because they do pretty well even on low settings... I do like how you can load your stove EW or NS ... Mine is pretty much EW with the air coming in from the west side.. I can use 22" wood in mine so that is a plus too.. Thanks for all your input and insight!

Ray

I'm in the process of installing my Pleasent Hearth. It's true the welds look alittle rough, but they don't appear to have structural difficencies. 100lbs lighter to me means one thing, it's alot easier to move!LOL 330lbs is doable with 2 people without too much effort, 440lbs, that's starting to push it unless you ate your wheaties this morning.;) Overall I bought the stove based on 4 things, it just fits in my fireplace, I like the way it looks (only unit in this price range I found with legs), I like the price ($630 at Lowes), and it's made in the USA!

RedGuy said:
I'm in the process of installing my Pleasent Hearth. It's true the welds look alittle rough, but they don't appear to have structural difficencies. 100lbs lighter to me means one thing, it's alot easier to move!LOL 330lbs is doable with 2 people without too much effort, 440lbs, that's starting to push it unless you ate your wheaties this morning.;)

Hello Red,
I look forward to your feedback and pics! Tell us the good and the bad and best of luck to you!

Ray

to Ray, We bought the Pleasant Hearth 1800 and in one month returned it for a full refund and went to Tractor Supply and bought a Magnolia by USS Co. Much bigger firebox and that is what we needed. Coals in the morning and when we get home from work. The Pleasant Hearth couldn't compete with that. A nice stove for the right buyer just wasn't what we needed. This is truly a fantastic forum...Keep up the good work.

dkf5 said:
to Ray, We bought the Pleasant Hearth 1800 and in one month returned it for a full refund and went to Tractor Supply and bought a Magnolia by USS Co. Much bigger firebox and that is what we needed. Coals in the morning and when we get home from work. The Pleasant Hearth couldn't compete with that. A nice stove for the right buyer just wasn't what we needed. This is truly a fantastic forum...Keep up the good work.

Thanx for the info dkf! People here love the reviews so feel free to give feedback positive and negative.. Be sure to post pics too.. Welcome to the forum too!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.