Pleasant surprise so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
Took delivery of a cord of seasoned wood today. (Given the time of year I was happy any was available). Delivered cost in Doylestown was $220. After all the reading I've done here I had every expectation that it would be green even though I was clear when ordering that I was buying the wood for this year and had no interest in green wood. I split a few random pieces and came up with a low MC of 20% with mostly 21's and 22's. There was one oddball piece that checked 30%. This will all be stacked and used later in the season so I'm pleased with what I got from a MC standpoint. Since I don't have a practiced eye for a pile of firewood, I won't know until later if I'm happy with the amount. It looks light, though. Anyway... just wanted to share a story about buying seasoned firewood that is actually seasoned. ~ Andy

The claim is assorted hardwood. I recognized some oak but I am no more "seasoned" at IDing wood types than I am at estimating the size of the pile. I'll get there, though. This site is fantastic.

That's pretty awesome for delivered wood. Usually one has to assume that any wood delivered is still very green.

real good for delivered wood. Low 20s will get you through this year easily

We have a weekend place in the woods so I have a great supply of deadfall that has been stacked for fire pit use for a couple of years. I bought the cord because I don't think I have enough for the whole season and don't want to feel pressure to gather and process wood. I find it relaxing adding "need" to it will make it a chore. If I need it this year it is there. If not it is a great start to next year. How about an opinion/rule of thumb on the squeal point for the size of the load? I stacked a third of it last night and will finish up on Saturday. I'm expecting to be short. I'm not a complainer and would probably overlook more than I should. Just looking for guidance.

If its half a facecord or more shy. But if the wood is premium species I look the other way. You have to consider what you have paid for and if that price matches what you think it should.
If you get shorted a 1/2 facecord but you only paid 125.00 for a "cord" of wood then you are still ahead.

I got a good pile of mixed hardwoods, cherry maple some oak, and ash. Check a few pieces and were between 15 and 20. That was surprising. 2.5 cords , 300 bucks. I give this guys name out a lot for tree service so he gave me a good deal. I also need to cut almost every piece to size though. He asked me what size I want next year because he has hickory that won't be ready until than and he is going to cut into 14 and 16. Eventually I'd like to be out of the wood buying game altogether, I've been starting so good collections of hardwoods. If I only had property like some of the guys here. I have large yard but wife loves her landscaping and anymore than three cords is to much for her. ...........she likes her heat though too.....can't win lol

Status
Not open for further replies.