Please explain to my wife why moisture meters are not silly and useless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you have to ASK YOUR WIFE or TELL YOUR WIFE? Just buy it if you want it and be done with it. I think they are a waste myself.

fespo said:
I think they are a waste myself.

Wives or moisture meters? :smirk:

Just buy the dang thing and tell her it is an eye brow tweezers....she'll understand then.

You could just clean out the garage of all the other toys you dont play with any more .

Will it measure plant pot moisture, too?

How about shoe soles ?

You probably just need along list of other uses. Notthat you wil probaby use itfor anythingelse.

mellow said:
My reasoning on spending $30 on one was simple.

If I or any of my friends buy wood we can without a doubt prove BEFORE the truck gets unloaded if the wood is truly seasoned or not by taking random samples.

I can prove it too - without seeing the wood and without knowing the seller.

It's not.

The end.

Your wife has gotten an eye full here but I will add my 2 cents worth too. Hate to miss out on the fun.

She is right.

I am the wife in this house and I am the one who bought one.

I got the raised eyebrows from my husband, my 3 semi-grown children, my 2 aging dogs and my 1 ancient cat. I ignored them all. What do they know anyway.

It is a fun little gadget and not very expensive and, as someone stated, it comes in handy when buying split wood that is supposed to be seasoned.

Otherwise it is useless once you figure out how to 'read' your wood pile.

Jags said:
Just buy the dang thing and tell her it is an eye brow tweezers....she'll understand then.

That's a bad idea. What if she tries it and shocks herself.... you're in it deep then :p

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Jags said:

That's a bad idea. What if she tries it and shocks herself.... you're in it deep then :p
Make darn sure you don't store it with the personal tazer. Imagine if she tried plucking her brows with this!

114305-main_Full.jpg

stoveguy13 said:
tell her you can make Pizza with it

Best Answer ...nice

Oh ya, she's correct. Wood knock 2 pieces together from the same batch.
If the pieces don't seem heavy for their size and make a nice hollow sound you're good to go.
If not leave it outside to dry.
Then take the boss out for Pizza.

Don't see the need for a MM, even at $11....

But you'll have to pry my IR thermometer gun from my cold dead hands.

Oh, fer cripe's sakes, I don't "need" 95% of the stuff I've got. If you want one, get one. %-P Rick

woodgeek said:
Don't see the need for a MM, even at $11....

But you'll have to pry my IR thermometer gun from my cold dead hands.

Agreed.

Them are a blast.

Where can we get one?

Seriously, if you can't spend 20 bucks without going through congress then the moisture meter is the least of your problems. If you're really looking for a fight you could tell her that the pioneers didn't have tampons back then either but if she'll be a good pioneer for two months you'll be able to afford your meter. On second thought... maybe that isn't the best thing to say. If you're new to wood (like I was) it's a great tool to teach you where you are and where you need to be. After a little while it will be used less often. It's probably the cheapest thing you can buy for burning and that includes the gasket or a rake.

My wife suggests its better that I'm outside working on the wood pile, rather than inside telling her about it. YMMV.

atomichawg said:
When I told my wife that I wanted to get a moisture meter to check the dryness of the wood, she laughed at me. She said that it was a pointless gadget and that the pioneers never had moisture meters and they got by just fine. Is there anything I can tell her to justify getting this tool?

Put it on your list to Santa, I'm sure she will bring it.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.