please help, I need a rebuild kit for a VC Intrepid 2 catalytic woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David_S

My wood stove has been in bad shape for a while now. I tried to order a rebuild kit a few years ago but I ended up losing $160 as the website I ordered from was a scam. I really need need a full rebuild gasket kit as well as both pieces of glass for the stove. The Vermont Castings website is no help, they just tell me to go to a dealer. I've tried a few but no help there, the guy I bought it from stopped carrying them years ago. SOMEONE has to be selling these parts over the net from a site thats not a scam, and I hope someone here knows who that is!

Anyways, I have a 2001 Vermont Castings Intrepid 2 catalytic wood stove if anyone knows a reputable person who carries parts I really need them, living at 9000 feet is generally chilly. A way to get in touch with VC directly would be great to try too, their website only refers you to local dealers, which in my case have been no help at all. I'll check back here or email me [email protected]

Thanks.

You can also try any local stove shops that might be able to get the parts for you. That way, if they do a lot of business with a supplier, they may pay the shipping for you. Shipping cast iron parts can get expensive.

David, welcome. Have you thought about replacing the stove? Instead of trying to rebuild the Intrepid, maybe consider getting a new stove. Even with a perfect rebuild, the odds are the stove will need another one in about 5 years. I have a friend that had this stove and finally gave up. We got him set up with a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 and he has been very happy with the improvement. It's a low maintenance stove that takes a bigger log and burns longer. There is a 30% energy credit on the stove, that will help a bit. Just a thought.

BeGreen said:
David, welcome. Have you thought about replacing the stove? Instead of trying to rebuild the Intrepid, maybe consider getting a new stove. Even with a perfect rebuild, the odds are the stove will need another one in about 5 years. I have a friend that had this stove and finally gave up. We got him set up with a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 and he has been very happy with the improvement. It's a low maintenance stove that takes a bigger log and burns longer. There is a 30% energy credit on the stove, that will help a bit. Just a thought.

are you a PE rep??

LOL, hardly. I have more experience with Jotuls actually. But after 3 local recommendations to friends and watching how they are doing with their stoves, maybe I should be! There are other stoves that might be just fine. I could see a small Woodstock working for the OP as well.

BeGreen said:
LOL, hardly. I have more experience with Jotuls actually. But after 3 local recommendations to friends and watching how they are doing with their stoves, maybe I should be! There are other stoves that might be just fine. I could see a small Woodstock working for the OP as well.

maybe contact them, see if they'll give a a dollar everytime you drop thier name, you could be rich. LMAO
they are great stoves, i was just ribbin ya a bit...

I like the way you think. If I had a dollar for every stove I've mentioned I'd be reading this on a tropical island. :lol:

We bailed on our VCs because of the nonsense with the parts. It may be different now, but I spent countless hours on the phone and web trying to find a reasonable way to rebuild them with no success.

BeGreen said:
I like the way you think. If I had a dollar for every stove I've mentioned I'd be reading this on a tropical island. :lol:

how bout this then :devil:

put one of those chip-in or donate buttons in your signature,

"if my advice REALLY helped you out, Donate to my tropical island fund by clicking here"

lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.