Please help - Jotul F3cb or F400 castine for Alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billgren

Oct 27, 2016
California
I just framed in an alcove after ripping out our ZC fireplace with durock, utilizing a 1inch gap on top and bottom. Original dimensions of framing was 84x42x24 (hxwxd) Now, after installing durock, morter and natural stone, dimensions are 73x33x24. The F3cb will fit no problem, however I want the bigger box and longer burn times of the F400 - the problem is the side clearance - Jotul recomends 8' on both sides for protected alcove installation for the F400 which would be 41 3/4" - is that 8" to the combustable framing or 8" to the rock? I know this has been discussed before and I tried to seach for it. Any help would be apreciated. Also - we live in Central California in a 1400 SF house. Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 175
That is to the nearest combustible which would be the studs.

Cool! Thank you for replying so fast! So, I could go with the F 400 since there will be more than 8" to the studs!!!!

Thank you again!

Mike

That is to the nearest combustible which would be the studs.
One more question : my roof is really short and there will be about 10 feet of chimney pipe, will the F400 get a good enough draft with only 10 feet of pipe or should I extend the class A more?

The Castine is not a very easy breather. The manual lists 15 feet as a minimum and I would recommend even more than that. There have been a number of people complaining about smoke spillage from the Castine and with a short chimney that would be a big issue. If in your 10 feet number that includes connector pipe and chimney I think that would be too short. We have 18 feet of connector and chimney above the stove and still have to be careful if opening the door in mid-burn. There are some other Castine owners who may add an opinion on this. I know Begreen had a Castine before his current stove.

One more question : my roof is really short and there will be about 10 feet of chimney pipe, will the F400 get a good enough draft with only 10 feet of pipe or should I extend the class A more?
The Castine will be unhappy with that short a chimney. It needs at least 15'. I had the F3CB on 12 ft of straight up chimney and it performed ok, but the F400 is more particular. Can't say if they F3CB would work with 10' or any EPA stove actually. You might look at a PE Alderlea T5 for close clearances and easy breathing with a short chimney, but plan on adding a couple feet of chimney pipe regardless.

If the clearances work you might want to look at a hearthstone shelburne. I have one and it's physically close in size to the f400 and is all cast iron like the f400 and comes in similar colors. Can be setup for top or rear vent like the f400 too. Hearthstone are known as easy breathers, I only have 12' of chimney any it performs very well. It has an optional rear shield to reduce clearances by quite a bit. I do believe it requires a different r value for the floor.

The Castine will be unhappy with that short a chimney. It needs at least 15'. I had the F3CB on 12 ft of straight up chimney and it performed ok, but the F400 is more particular. Can't say if they F3CB would work with 10' or any EPA stove actually. You might look at a PE Alderlea T5 for close clearances and easy breathing with a short chimney, but plan on adding a couple feet of chimney pipe regardless.

Thanks everyone for all your help - went with F400 and got her in a couple days ago. I did 3 break-in fires as recommended by Jotul and stove worked well, considering short chimney. I plan on adding 6' of pipe, however, my electric drop line passes rather close to my chimney and that' why I kept the pipe short so there is no chance the power line will make contact. We are going to update/move my panel and then I can add more pipe.

thanks again!
Mike
Jotul.jpg Jotul2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Electric drop line, if this you mean the overhead power line to the house you might want to spend the money to bury the supply line. I did that last year and have far fewer worries about power outages when the storms arrive.

Good to hear it is working ok for you. If you are seeing good secondary combustion that is a good sign. It will only get better with more pipe. How close is the electrical line now?

For alcove installation there is supposed to be 58" clear above the stove to the nearest combustible. Not sure if the wood lintel on the alcove meets spec or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.