PLEASE HELP! My kid put a toy in the pellet stove bag and we didnt realize it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

otensmodena

Dec 18, 2019
Modena, NY
We have St. Croix pellet stove (ashby p model). I didnt realize that one of my children threw a toy in the pellet bag and I inserted it into the stove. The toy obviously burnt up and now I am in the dog house with my husband. The stove doesnt light and the #2 LED light is blinking. We put a new vacuum switch in and it didnt change anything. We cleaned out all of the dubree from the toy too. No one in our area fixes these and are at a loss on our next steps. Please help save my marriage and help me get this stove fixed!

#2 means, IIRC, insufficient vacuum. So, either the combustion blower is not running fast enough, or there is a blockage in the exhaust airflow. (You could have tested the vacuum switch by jumpering it, but that's water under the bridge now.) Are you sure all of the toy burned up? It would have to be pretty small (or breakable) to make it through the auger/chute. (Although, even with the auger jammed, you should still get enough vacuum to operate the vac switch. )

I can't see how the toy could affect the vacuum, other than jamming the exhaust blower somehow. Perhaps a wire was knocked loose during the toy extraction.

FYI - The igniter will not be energized unless the vac switch is satisfied.

P.S. FWIW, I don't think you should be in the doghouse for this.

Reactions: SpaceBus
What kind of toy ? Just thinking it might help visualizing what it might have done to the stove. Is there a passage to the vacuum switch that may be blocked with goo? Lots of possibilities.

What kind of toy ? Just thinking it might help visualizing what it might have done to the stove. Is there a passage to the vacuum switch that may be blocked with goo? Lots of possibilities.

A very likely cause! Take the vacuum line off of the vacuum switch, and blow into it (the line) to see if it's clear into the burn chamber. Also, eyeball the hose itself at both ends to make sure there is not a hole or split in it.
(Wish I'd thought of this...)