please help need insert which to choose? must decide by sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i have 2000 sq ft to heat
heat will have to travel from one end to the other in the house
have looked at the pe summit... hampton hi300... lopi declaration
the summit heats the most sq ft but do i need that? are inserts reliable when they give the sq ft
please help

I would go with the Summit for the square firebox. You can load it front to back instead of side to side which give me faster startups and easier burning.

BrotherBart said:
I would go with the Summit for the square firebox. You can load it front to back instead of side to side which give me faster startups and easier burning.

how big is the box

20x20 inches

Ideal split size 16-18

thanks you have one too i see

BrotherBart said:
You have a Summit now? ;-)

GVA said:
BrotherBart said:

Nope. The NC-30 has the same 20 X 20 square firebox as Lord Summit.

BrotherBart said:
GVA said:
BrotherBart said:

Nope. The NC-30 has the same 20 X 20 square firebox as Lord Summit.

It warms my heart to hear the Summit being referred to as a Lord..... :)
The Summit is truely a gift from heaven! :)

Jimbob said:
It warms my heart to hear the Summit being referred to as a Lord..... :)
The Summit is truely a gift from heaven! :)

Yeah but when the Devil needs to heat up Hell he loads up his NC-30 and lets'er rip.

iceman said:
i have 2000 sq ft to heat
heat will have to travel from one end to the other in the house
have looked at the pe summit... hampton hi300... lopi declaration
the summit heats the most sq ft but do i need that? are inserts reliable when they give the sq ft
please help

Compare the firebox sizes in cubic feet.

How well insulated is your home?

that is a decent size home in a cold area. Also, besides the cubic size of the fireboxes, compare the log length - maybe you cut your wood to 20"

Those stoves are all good models. Just because a member here has one model or the other (and we have members with all three of those) is certainly not a reason to buy. Do your homework, and go with the one that fits most of your criteria - also keeping in mind the particular dealer and shop (are they nice?).

Iceman, I have the Summit and this is my first season heating with it. I'm in Southern West Virginia. It's not nearly as cold here as where you live. We have been hitting 32 at night and 60 during the day. I can tell you the Summit only over powered the house once and that was due to my learning curve. My house is about 2400 square feet.

I honestly don't see why anyone would want a stove with a fire box less than half the size of this, but they make them and somebody buys them. I bet the ashes in mine when I empty it would just about fill up the 1.2 cubic foot stoves. Search for some of posts. I have a diagram of my house posted and the heat spreads around pretty evenly.

Iceman, JDI (just do it).

Status
Not open for further replies.