Please help newbie.. where and how would you stack wood on my property? Diagram attached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. After about a week of using the slider, I found myself using the garage side door. 1. The garage allowed a staging ground, so that I could actually bring in a couple trashcan bins full of wood every few days or week, and stack a week or so worth of wood in the garage, and let me pick and choose which pieces I wanted to bring in. Also, I could then simply walk into the garage in my shorts and sandals, and get wood, instead of bundling up 4-5 times a day to go outside. 2. From the garage, I walk through the mudroom, flip my shoes off, and essentially turn into the family room. No mess. If coming through the slider, I end up dragging mud/water/stones across the kitchen hardwood floor, which isn't ideal.

I'm not saying I'm stuck on the garage access.. I just found it more convenient in many ways during my first year of burning. IF we had a covered structure out back..we plan to put in a paver patio this summer off of the slider doors..that would change things b/c then I could store a bit under that roof. Although it would still be against the house, which many don't advise. But covered structures ain't cheap!

I also have multiple possible entries to the stove area, and totally feel your pain re: dragging in muck. I slayed that dragon in 2 ways:

1) bring in wood using a waterproof sling like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QXDFWK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bring in 1 sling at a time, set on floor in front of stove, stoke stove directly, shake sling outside afterwards.
2) Get a pair of mason's boots at WalMart- the kind guys wear when slinging concrete slabs. They're like $8 and 12" tall. Cut them down with a utility knife to maybe 6-7" tall. Keep them by back door so you can slide them on & off as fast as sandals. Sorta like these: http://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-G...8&qid=1400869720&sr=1-4&keywords=garden+boots

I found two of those canvas carriers to be more than twice as good as one. I can carry more wood with less effort and less back problems. And they do a great job of containing the mess like you say.

I also have multiple possible entries to the stove area, and totally feel your pain re: dragging in muck. I slayed that dragon in 2 ways:

1) bring in wood using a waterproof sling like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QXDFWK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bring in 1 sling at a time, set on floor in front of stove, stoke stove directly, shake sling outside afterwards.
2) Get a pair of mason's boots at WalMart- the kind guys wear when slinging concrete slabs. They're like $8 and 12" tall. Cut them down with a utility knife to maybe 6-7" tall. Keep them by back door so you can slide them on & off as fast as sandals. Sorta like these: http://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-Garden-Boots-by/dp/B009GO6PIC/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1400869720&sr=1-4&keywords=garden boots

1) I actually have almost that exact sling. I did find it useful but actually ended up using a utility tub more often. It kept the mess in the tub which was great. Filled up, it sure was a bit heavier than what I could carry in the sling, but I got probably 50% wood with each trip.
2) Those are some stylish boots! I'll have to look into those.

1) I actually have almost that exact sling.

I learned the hard way that some slings have closed ends and some don't- keeps the junk in. The one I linked to is like a big duffel bag with a rubber liner and closed ends, so it stays tidy. Mrs. Blue loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.