Plowing snow to haul wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Thanks.
I still like going out on the deck & looking at it full of wood. Dry & just looks good :)
Even the one side that's this years wood getting empty feels good. Looking forward to getting it filled up thru the summer & fall.

I have seen schools shut down here for a 1/4" of rain. ;)
When it rains in January & the snow packed roads become ice rinks, not much moves.

I don't think Alaskans are tougher than the lower 48'ers, maybe a little more "self reliant" with the remoteness.
Upstate NY usually gets more snow & northern Mont, ND, MN have colder temps than I do usually.
I'd say the worst part is the short daylight, but now we're are up to 6hrs & 15 min, gaining 4 min/day

1/2" of new snow, was near 0 last night.
I need to get that thermometer like you have thats nice.

Dave, you guys are really getting hit with the snow this year. It must also be interesting having the cold and then suddenly above freezing. I've always thought it much better once it is cold to stay there. This last week we made some mud in our woods. Now maybe it will freeze up as we had a high of 23 today and going to single digits tonight. Winter has finally arrived. And we only got a couple inches of snow last night so I didn't even put the snow blade on.

Dave, you feel free to keep all that snow up there. We still have almost nothing here north of Edmonton - i have never seen this before. Still lots of patches of grass everywhere here. Not really green but still there is usually 2 feet of snow at least by now.

Looks good Dave ! Did you follow zaps lead and use a hand planer to straighten those stacks :lol:

Pete

Pete: Thanks. Laser & GPS (just looks straight from a distance) :)
bert; I really want to share :)
Bioman: Thanks. Salmon, moose & garden stuff in the freezer
BWS: I agree, once it freezes, Id like it to stay around 20° all winter, the above freezing just make s ames, the water don't soak in, ice ruts. Hope your winter stays & is a mild one. More snow than in the past 15 years but prior to that we had about this much as a norm.
ecocavalier02: Oregon scientific, $40 roughly, got it as a Christmas gift. Hang the sending unit out side for outdoor temp & humidity. I like it. :)
wishlist: Thanks. Each section holds about 1 year supply; 5+ cords in each, if I stuff it full to the roof, :)

Getting cold again:

Attachments

• 100_7122.jpg
    100_7122.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 158
Wow the temp dropped fast! It was around 15* ~5hrs ago when I left for work.

Finally got the snowblower dug out from the shed and attached to the tractor. Need to clean the driveway and make a path to my wood piles.

Was sheet-rocking & taping at daughters house. Came out & truck therm said -15.
Warmer here, -12° :)
To get 15 mph winds later tonight, that will be -34° chill factor. Definitely will do inside work for a few days. High to be 0° :)
The High pressure Cold front is moving (finally) to the East
N-of-60 will be getting some colder temps by tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_7124.jpg
    100_7124.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 156
Yeah it's -15* here right now. Thermostat crapped out on my car (at least I hope that's all it is) and I had no heat for the last 20 miles. Brrr.

Got a list of the parts and the stupid antifreeze costs more than the parts. $56 for a gallon. "special" G12++ that VW and Audi uses.

Dave, you made that shed perfect . Easy to allow wood to season to its proper time and keep separate. Sav approves I'm sure. Lol....

Didn't get as cold last night as they predicated. Warm inside tho! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0586.jpg
    IMAG0586.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 147
Woke up it was -17°. The sun came up & it went to -18°. 1 hour later warmed up to -11°
Pic of a -18° wood shed as the sun comes up over the Mts at 11:30 AM.

Attachments

• 100_7127.jpg
    100_7127.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 123
Beautiful wood shed. I just saw on the news last night that Alaska was on track to have the snowiest winter ever. You can keep that sub zero stuff too.

took the words right out of my mouth...

NH_Wood said:
greythorn3 said:
8" and staying home, wow if that aint a lower 48er i dont know what is!

Us real Alaskans aint afraid to drive in the snow.

Lower 47 - we don't do that in NH either! Cheers!

Don't know who Ray is calling a "real Alaskan" but they shut down work because of the weather. Bad weather means aircraft don't fly. Aircraft don't fly means I have no reason to be at work. No reason to be at work means boss calls and says don't make the 40 mile drive into work since we are shut down.
It had nothing to do with anyone being afraid to drive in snow... more like pilots afraid to fly.

ColdNH said:
took the words right out of my mouth...
NH_Wood said:
greythorn3 said:
8" and staying home, wow if that aint a lower 48er i dont know what is!

Us real Alaskans aint afraid to drive in the snow.

Lower 47 - we don't do that in NH either! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.