Plumbers will be busy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Plumbers will be busy this week.
Lots of frozen pipes.

Make sure your outside hose fixtures are covered, some 2" styrofoam at least.
If you have the frost free fixtures, make sure the hoses are disconnected so the fixture tube drains. (this type has
the valve located inside the the house at the end of a tube, but if the hose is left on the external tube is full of water & will freeze & rupture) You won't
know it ruptured until you turn on the valve & water runs inside the wall or into the crawls space (I learned that one the hard way)

Uninsulated/ unheated crawl spaces, cover the vents & screens to help hold in some heat. Heater/fan to blow some heat in if possible.

Attics, let some water slowly run thru these pipes all night. Open the ceiling access door to let some heat in.

Know where your water main valve is? It can save a big mess if a pipe breaks.

Keep the house warm, add some extra wood & use fans to move air around into spaces where plumbing be exposed to unusually cold air.
Some homes aren't plumbed for this kind of big cold snap. Plumbing running "inside" of an outside wall, is not insulated as well.

Fire dangers to. Check extension cords. if they get warm/hot to the touch, get a better, larger wire gage one. Electric heater use lots of current (power) & cause
damaged or small cords to over heat & catch fire.

Fire / CO detector batteries. Many folks use oil heaters to warm the house, CO detectors save lives.

Hope no one has issues.
Stay warm

Why you posting this now when it's nearly 20*?? Should have been last week when it was -20*! I hauled in some firewood a little bit ago in a Tshirt and my house slippers cause it felt so warm!

For the Lower 48 folks who have a big cold front moving in.
Figured if, they were like me, that garden hose fixture is easy to forget.

For timely post for us here in Maine.

firefighterjake said:

Quite timely! (hi jake).

My boiler is dead and after Fri storm we banked up the house by going around it with the snow blower - it really makes a big difference - the basement was at about 40* last night, which is pretty good considering that it was probably about -16* last night. I see on the internet that the r-value of snow is about 1 so the more the better -but it has the added value of air sealing.

BTW - did you know that Dawn dish liquid turns to a curdled semi solid at 50* - neither did I until now...

I learned that frost proof hose bibs weren't with the hose attached, a few years ago.

Brilliant idea sz. Hope you folks are at least taking a moment to have some fun with the cold too. I have seen some shots of a supersoaker fired off into the -15 cold. It becomes a fog machine. I'd like to take some cold water and pour it from say 3' into another container to see if it would freeze solid while pouring. That would make a neat video. Whatever you do, stay safe. It's easy to get frostbit if you aren't paying attention.

Yep, alot of butt cracks will be a flashing this week

szmaine said:
BTW - did you know that Dawn dish liquid turns to a curdled semi solid at 50* - neither did I until now...

We have a house in the family used as hunting camp, get away, etc, thermostat always set as low as it goes (55) kitchen colder, yeah the liquid dish soap is always pretty chunky lookin there.

szmaine said:
firefighterjake said:

Quite timely! (hi jake).

My boiler is dead and after Fri storm we banked up the house by going around it with the snow blower - it really makes a big difference - the basement was at about 40* last night, which is pretty good considering that it was probably about -16* last night. I see on the internet that the r-value of snow is about 1 so the more the better -but it has the added value of air sealing.

HehHeh . . . must be a Maine thing . . . I was shoveling off my front porch yesterday and tossing the snow right up against the foundation as I was hoping it would provide some insulation.

I had a plumber scheduled to install an air line at work this morning. He showed up for about 5 minutes and then got the emergency call - broken water line. He mentioned that if it wasn't for the broken water lines the last couple weeks he would of been sitting at home - no work otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.