Plumbing in the make up water line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
The person that did our install used one of the tappings on the top of our boiler for both the make up water line and the T&P;guage. I have realized that with the wateer line plumbd into this T along with the guage that the guage's stem is not reaching low enough into the boiler to get an accurate temp reading. So it now appears the T needs to be removed and the guage installed into the boiler so the stem will reach low enough...but where do most people plumb their make up water line at?

The stem from your temp gauge does not have to be "in the stream" to obtain accurate readings. As long as it's not several inches away I'd leave it be. Within an inch and I bet you're not loosing anything...

there are extended probe type gauges out there also. Sometimes you can get air trapped up in a tee like that, so the gauge probe is not reading water temperature. Loosen the gauge and burp it, although the problem may return as this is a high spot air trap.

A cross fitting with an air vent at the top is another option,or move the fill to a tee somewhere else, near the expansion tank connection point is the best location for a fill valve.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.