plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
Quick question for the plumbers out there.

I'm working on installing my new-to-me Englander 10 - CPM pellet stove and have run into a bit of a snag. Due to window location and wall placement, I have to install the stove in a specific spot. Unfortunately, the drain pipe from the upstairs bathroom is exactly in the way.

I'd like to move the pipe so that I can put the vent pipe out through the wall. The pipe is currently halfway between the two studs. I want to move it so that it is offset to the far right side of the opening between the studs. The pipe is 3" PVC, and drains a bathtub, toilet, and sink. I want to use 4 (first down to the right, then straight down, then down to the left, and back to straight down) 45 degree elbows, along with some straight pieces to detour the pipe over to the edge, and then back to the middle after I'm below the location for the vent pipe.

Does that make sense? Good idea or bad idea? I toyed around with re-routing the vent pipe, but PVC is a lot cheaper than 4" Duravent! According to the 3" Duravent pipe I have, I only need 1 inch clearance to anything combustible, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can do that.

I second what Dune said, you can do that no problem, it is well within the Canadian Plumbing code (and I would guess any plumbing code) to do such a vertical offset.

I agree should be fine
not sure if it would meet code here though

ironpony said:
I agree should be fine
not sure if it would meet code here though

As long as he uses 45 and not 90 it is to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.