Poll: How many years have you been burning wood pellets/owned a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many years have you owned a pellet stove?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cincinnati Kid

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
Cincinnati
I believe the pellet stove craze has really caught on over the past five years. I will be interesting to sell how long people have been burning wood pellets....

We're starting our 4th full winter with our stove (and it has already paid for itself).

Bought our first stove in 1992

Built a new house in 1993 and installed 2 new pellet stoves in the new place.
Replaced one of those stoves winter before last and added a 3rd stove.

The 3rd stove is used during the early and late season when we dont need a big one, plus it is a helper during the cold months.

Pellet stoves are just a way of life around here.

Pellet stoves have been around since the 80's ???

In the early days, they were more of a novelty, and were not used as much for a total home heat source.

I had it scoped out real early on that these were a blessing in disguise.

We run Hazel nut shells in our stoves. Living in an area that produces a huge crop of these nuts makes getting the shells easy and cheap.

Using a Pellet stove requires a fair amount of plannng before doing the instalation.

A central location in the home or a place that will allow the best overall efficiency.

The oil crisis of 73 and the slump in the lumber industry in the early 80's was in part responsible for the advent of the Pellet stove.

Lumber companies were all to happy to be able to turn their waste products into a capital item.

Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's most all of the scrap wood and other unused wood waste from the mills was fed into "WIGWAM" burners and buned off.

With the then new environmental laws being instituted to control smoke and polution the mills really gained a lot by turning all the wood waste into a saleable product.

Pellet stoves are not new by any means, but have become in recent years a very popular way to heat the home, or in some cases to at least suppliment it.

There is still those that view the Pellet stove as a piece of furniture that adds ambience to the room, but are loath to build an actual fire in the thing.

Snowy

4th year in books starting year 5.

Roughly paid;
$100 for stove (used)
$300 or so for venting
$100 for hearth
$3640 pellets. Average of about $260 for 14 tons (3-1/2 ton per year)
$100 electricity (guess)
$100 Misc. (tools, sealant, etc.)

Total=$4340.00 to heat my house with pellets for 4 years.

If still on HHO
$0 Existing FHA oil furnace
$6812.50 Home Heating Oil. (5 250 gal tanks at $2.20/gal years 1+2) + (5 250 gal tanks at $3.25/gal years 3 and 4)
$400 Annual cleaning (4 x $100, 1 per year)
$100 electricity (guess)

Total = 7312.50 To heat same house with HHO

Pellet Saving (est) $2972.5 over 4 years
Plus I'm warmer and I get the ambiance of a fire in the living room.
Granted I have to maintain the stove and haul/stack the pellets.
---Nailer---

This will be my fourth season using one.

I started looking at them back in the early 90's but had no desire to lug pellets up two sets of stairs, settled on natural gas then.

Can't get natural gas here so when we moved I was able to get one, best of all it is in my den, there are no stairs to lug pellets up, and storage is in the next "room" over, the garage.

First year for me.

Hello

This will be my 3rd season. Last year was the first year I saved big Buck$ on home heating costs!

Just starting my 2nd year as a pellet burner. I like this thread, as you learn so much about the people behind the pellets! Didn't know some of you were so old. Pellet year wise :red:

dw06 said:
Just starting my 2nd year as a pellet burner. I like this thread, as you learn so much about the people behind the pellets! Didn't know some of you were so old. Pellet year wise :red:

Oh he!! most of us on here need to take geezer naps.

This will be my fourth year with pellets, love'em!

Can't drive by a hardware store, big box store or stove shop without checking out the prices and picking a few bags to try. Don't know if it does any good, seeing as some pellets are great one year and hiddeous the next and visa-versa!

I just bought my pellet furnace (Fahrenheit Endurance) last year, but my parents bought their first stove (a Jamestown Baby Bear) back in the early 90s. I remember watching the Bills in the Superbowl while that Jamestown pellet stove was cranked, just to give you an idea of how long ago that dates back. Their stove is still running great, my Dad always kept it clean (vacuumed it out after every fire), he had to replace the blower motor about 6 years ago (he replaced the rope gaskets every several years as well), but other than that no other parts have needed replacement.

Starting my forth year, couldn't be happier. With the price of HHO after the first year between stove and pellets I figure I broke even. I get 2 years out of my 200 gal HHO tank instead of filling it 3 1/2 times each year. Saving money and not relying on oil I LOVE IT.

This will be my 4th season i believe

9th year here. I am on my 2nd stove, a harman-p61a. Much cheaper than propane!

This is my 6th year with my Quad Castile, and my first with my Harman PF100. I am just waiting for the final numbers after winter is over so that I drool over my savings!

Wow, Got a bunch of youngin's here don't we. Really out number us old stove farts!

In stove years anyway, ;-)

4th burning season for me. Lots of respect and grateful for this forum helping me pull my head out of my ...... Older than many on here, but not to old to learn.
I have a question, what is the forum membership numbers now as compared to past years? I brag up this site every time I can get someone to listen.

Going into our second year love our M55. House is warmer wife is happier save on propane, life is good.

4th year for me also

Four years for me too. It seems to be the biggest group. I bought mine because when I built my addition, I was faced with running hot water thru out the new room, or installing a stove to heat it and save the expense of running the furnace just to heat this room. I picked a pellet stove because, after heating with wood for years, I wasn't eager to cut, split, and stack the wood, plus I would need to build a chimney. The pellet stove was the best decision I made. Simple to install, simple to maintain, and best of all the fuel was cheap and easy.

If I ever decide to sell the house, I may install the baseboard heat to make it more appealing....Then again, I may not. :) No matter where I live, I will always have a pellet stove.

Chan

This will be my 15th year burning. I have processed over 60 tons through the same stove. I remember my first year burning I paid 89.99/ton for my pellets and thought that was a lot of money. I actually had to go pick them up from the closest pellet place it was 40 miles one way!

This will be our 4th year. Have reduced our oil usage by 54%/500 gal. (We are warmer too!!)
My Wife does not say very much but I am very glad we bought the stove. Oil is now around $3.50/gallon.
At that price.....4 tons of pellets were $825 and 500gal @ $3.50/gal =$1750!!
Can you say, "Saved about $925"!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.