1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Poll Question: Steel or Cast Iron Pellet Stove - Which one do you like? - Cast your vote up top then

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, May 5, 2011.

?

Pellet Stove - Which do you like better - Steel or Cast Iron?

1. Steel

100.0%
  2. Cast Iron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I purchased a steel stove because the heat does not radiate very much. I also like the Huge ash pan.

What do you think? Please explain.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I think cast is prettier.
  3. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    My Castile is a combination, of course. Which do we prefer? We can only answer that if we have bought both.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    If I were to place a stove for all to see in my living area, It would have to be cast. Style and class!
  5. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    Cast would look odd in my house, nothing else is that old. Might have looked good 100 yrs ago.
  6. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I notice the cast stoves have less tendency to rattle sometimes. Then again, only the al cheapo steel stove rattle. As far as looks go, the new Hearthstone pelet stove in the brown enamel is drop dead beautiful. My all time fav as far as performace is steel. I really dont think with a pellet stove it comes down to much more than what it looks like.
  7. pastera

pastera Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Cast because that is what I have - But it really only cosmetic because the inner workings are steel plate

Great - My stove is a imposter! %-P
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Yes, If I had one upstairs in the living area, cast would be nice. There is a clean LP zero clearance fireplace in the living room already.

However I needed one in the basement that is functional enough to heat the entire house. The heat exchanger tubes are angled upward which also helps my situation. After the basement climbs to 80 degrees it will heat the upstairs to 70. However after I put in the 2 registers with a direct connection to the stove, the upstairs is warm now when the basement hits 76 !! Direct connection to registers makes a huge difference!!

Safe, warm and best of all CHEAP wood pellet stove cozy HEAT !!!

Register shows 150 degree air with direct connection as opposed to 80 degree air with just a register!!!!
    Better than a warm air furnace!!!

Attached Files:

9. Utilitrack

Utilitrack Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central ME
    Wifey is all about aesthetics, with that said it had to be cast in our Cape Cod styled home.
  10. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    I prefer the classic good looks of a cast stove but I do have both.
  11. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Thanks All

Looks like cast iron wins 60 to 40 percent