Poll: What outside temperature do you start/begin to use your pellet stove(s)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What temperature do you start your pellet stove at?

• 50° +

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 45-49°

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 40-44°

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 35-39°

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • 30-34°

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Below 30°

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Cincinnati Kid

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Obviously a lot of variables here but would like to see what temperatures folks start/begin to use their pellet stoves at.

I have Heat Pump and switch about 30f. Last couple days turn it on at 8pm and shutoff at 7am. Or 1/2 bag of pellets. Both nights could have gone without using it. Trying to stretch out what I have on porch to March. Got about 15 bags left before I have to buy more or open up another pallet (1ton).

What Bob said….I’m a few hours north of him as well ;)

Reactions: Mt Bob
Indoor temp is my indicator. If it is windy and cool out, I'll need heat, whereas if it is calm out, I may not.

I heat exclusively with my pellet stoves. I do have a mini-split which I used a lot of the winter last year, but this year electric prices are too high to do that when I have cheap pellets (bought during the HD sale last spring). I also have a propane boiler that I only run to keep the FHW pipes from freezing during major cold (like Fridays/Saturday). As I get older, having options for heating is a must and I have them all covered ;)

I have been known to run the main floor stove in early July, when it was mid 40's out, heavily overcast and raining.

I run my pellet stoves off external thermostats. During heating season, I set them at 68 or 69 and let them do their thing. In late spring or early fall, I may have the thermostats off unless the house gets down to below 65*. I go thru 4-6 tons per year currently, although this year may be less as, for the most part, it has been a mild winter.

The heat pump seems to not be as great for heating when it gets below 35° so that is when I make the switch. I heat about 1K square feet that is 4 rooms. I run off thermostat stove in manual so there is always flame and radiant heat. Thermostat gets set to 70 for the night and depending on if she is home or not 72-75 inn the day. If it gets warm out like 40s or 50s I will shut it down sometimes for a cleaning and then wait until the temps drop back before firing it back up.

Usually when we start seeing a lot of low 40s or lower until we start seeing a lot of mid 40s or higher.

outside temp is really irrelevant it gets turned on as soon as the temp gets uncomfortable in the house and before the furnace gets turned on

Reactions: bogieb