Ponderosa and old chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfolk

Oct 30, 2023
West Virginia
I have home that was built around 1900 with a 12”x8” chimney that is about 23’ tall. The fireplace had been closed off and when I opened it up it appears to have had a 6” pipe going up it at one time but it had been removed. I want to put a ponderosa woodstove that is pretty old as well in. Let me know the dos and don’t on this. I’m currently considering removing the mantle and replacing with cement board and running 6” single wall pipe up the chimney.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Single-wall pipe can not be run up the chimney. It must be an insulated, stainless steel liner in this case.

There are other serious issues here. It looks like there is wood right alongside the brick on the right side. The Ponderosa being an unlisted stove needs 36" clearance in all directions. This can be reduced to 12" with proper ventilated wall shielding.

Single-wall pipe can not be run up the chimney. It must be an insulated, stainless steel liner in this case.

There are other serious issues here. It looks like there is wood right alongside the brick on the right side. The Ponderosa being an unlisted stove needs 36" clearance in all directions. This can be reduced to 12" with proper ventilated wall shielding.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Forever-Ve...less-Steel-Double-Wall-Chimney-Pipe/999958249

These don’t say they are insulated are they right for the application? Thanks!

That is an uninsulated liner. It needs an insulation blanket purchased and then added on site. The do make preinsulated liners if that is preferred.

The stove is highly radiant. It will cast out a lot of heat from all sides. It will need a proper hearth and combustibles protection for any wood within 36". What is the plan for this?

That is an uninsulated liner. It needs an insulation blanket purchased and then added on site. The do make preinsulated liners if that is preferred.

The stove is highly radiant. It will cast out a lot of heat from all sides. It will need a proper hearth and combustibles protection for any wood within 36". What is the plan for this?
For the floor the thought was to put 2” thick concrete pillar caps and either remove the mantle and put cement board on it some sort of air cooled heat shield but am open to options on all this.

A proper ventilated heat shield at the back is a good plan. That will reduce the rear clearance down to 12". The stone cap hearth is ok, but it will need to extend 18" beyond the stove in all directions according to NFPA.

Has the insurance company been checked with to see if they are ok with this installation? Many will not permit an unlisted stove.