Poormans log cradle -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding log lifts, loading directly off a trailer...... etc....

Here's a set up I used earlier this year with some smaller stuff (not all the wood I get is small :()

100_0268a.jpg

My trailer has a rear gate - drop gate to level with bed of trailer, roll rounds onto gate, lower lift to just below the gate, stand on splitting side of splitter & use my pickeroon to finish rolling splits to lift, operate 12v to raise the lift, split as desired, push splits off work table to wagon (in this case wagon, or toss into smaller trailer) and move wagon or trailer to stack area. Ideally I would have had all this equipment set up in the stacking area but, dummy me, I've got too much wood stacked to get back to the stacking area so must use the wagon to get back to the stacks.

Here's a 'before' picture of my splitter (before mods were done):

didier_before.jpg

Here's an 'after' picture with 12v log lift and an 'overall' splitter lift:

didier_complete.jpg

I'm not sure what the max weight lift is, but here's a 'normal size round that I work with:

100_0152.jpg

That is awesome!! :lol:

Sweet set up shari and great use of a classic splitter. Can you share specs on tube size, pivots, etc? Any twisting issues/concerns with the big stuff?

SolarAndWood said:
Sweet set up shari and great use of a classic splitter. Can you share specs on tube size, pivots, etc? Any twisting issues/concerns with the big stuff?

First off, we didn't rehab this splitter - a list member here did it (not Highbeam). Both the worktable and log lift are separate attachments to the main structure. The log lift has a rod within the tube for the pivot and then the whole lift just attaches via u-shaped attachments. Sure, I can torque the beam if I try to split through the center of a big round but I have learned to shave off the sides instead of digging into the center of a large (22" +) round. :)

Here's a couple of videos of my splitter in action:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/5vzfFOrUjAs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/7OSzApEeivc[/youtube]

A couple of minor mods were done after the initial rebuild along with plates were added to the log lift to make it more of a smooth work surface for sliding the rounds around a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.