pop ups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't typically like to complain about forum ads, due to their necessity in continuing the forum, but those pop-ups are really bad.

Reactions: patrickk222
Yeah they certainly are annoying

Reactions: patrickk222
The ones we have here are the worst I have ever seen. But I have it somewhat under control. I added 2 different add blocker extensions to the Google Chrome browser. It removes adds on You Tube. and here it removes the add as it comes up.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The ads load slow, sometimes not at all and eventually the forum pops up.

Our corporate overlords found a way to extract another $0.001 per user in ad revenue.

It’s bad enough that it pops up but it’s persistent and you can’t just X it out and move on with your life.

Really quite offensive. At least give me a count down clock like a YouTube ad.

Reactions: Ashful
*cough* Ublock Origin *cough cough*
What, you don’t find constant ads for Honda Motors relevant to wood burning? Do they even make a vehicle capable of hauling a cord of wood?

I understand that there are software solutions to obtrusive and excessive advertisements such as this. Can those be added to your phone’s browser?

What, you don’t find constant ads for Honda Motors relevant to wood burning? Do they even make a vehicle capable of hauling a cord of wood?
Does a US company make one that can? I don't think a pickup can fit a cord in the bed without some bed pocket stakes, and it would have to be a long bed. At least the Odyssey can fold the seats flat and probably fit a whole cord without a trailer. Either way, everything short of the Civic sized vehicles could do the job with a trailer.

Does a US company make one that can? I don't think a pickup can fit a cord in the bed without some bed pocket stakes, and it would have to be a long bed. At least the Odyssey can fold the seats flat and probably fit a whole cord without a trailer. Either way, everything short of the Civic sized vehicles could do the job with a trailer.
Yes. People have been hauling a cord of wood in pickup trucks for decades. A standard 8' pickup bed is around 80 cubic feet, which when stacked 10" above the rails will hold one cord, straps required.

But it's really irrelevant. Does Honda make any standard pickup truck, that will haul ANY reasonable amount of wood, even 1/2 cord? They have the Ridgeline, a sort of weird station wagon chassis with a 64" long bed, I guess to compete with the Chevy Avalanche. But it has a tow rating of only 5000 lb., so you can't even pull a trailer loaded with a cord of hardwood (typically close to 7000 lb. with trailer curb weight + payload).

My point was, if we're going to be flooded with near-constant car commercials on a forum of wood burners, you'd think it'd be a brand with some vehicles at least targeted at the hobby/lifestyle. Not Honda!

And I know your response was an automatic knee-jerk reaction to domestic vs. Japanese vehicles. But Toyota has capable trucks, so this isn't about that.

Last edited:
I have used a couple of browsers that will block it but because they are anonymized auto log in does not work so I have enter my password every time and then the popups start working.

Reactions: Highbeam
Want to see the pop ups the get in Norway? Here they are.

6AAD3AB2-9BAD-4F85-8BB7-6036780F185C.png 1E8AC965-1092-4683-A4EA-D67FE236017E.png

I don't see any ads or pop-ups. I don't ever see any on YT either.

This takes care of them all.

Although I do use a computer for browsing. I use a phone to make phone calls.

1696776548792.png

Reactions: yooperdave
i use add blocker as well works well.. its blocked 49000 adds so far this year.. pretty sad they can invade us with all these adds using cookie's and such to taylor the adds to us, but yet they monitor our email addresses and make us log in every month if they "find" that our email has been compromised.

My point was, if we're going to be flooded with near-constant car commercials on a forum of wood burners, you'd think it'd be a brand with some vehicles at least targeted at the hobby/lifestyle. Not Honda!

It is probably my fault. I have been burning wood for 30+ years as my primary heat so source and I have never personally hauled a stick of wood in a vehicle. We also have had a a couple Hondas in the garage over that period, and most wood burners I know here do fit the ad demographic. I have known a few people that occasionally haul wood in the bed of a pickup, but the vast majority have it delivered. Subaru is probably the best fit for Maine wood burners in terms of how many you tend to see, but Honda is not far off.

I do see several people getting wood delivered in log form, here. Less so with split cord wood, as the core demographic here is people heating with wood to save money, and delivered split cordwood leaves an awful thin margin for any savings over oil or gas.

I’ve never paid for a single stick of wood, but I did pay for a heavier trailer, electric winch, felling equipment, and even upgraded my truck to be able to haul heavier loads. All that equipment gets used for other things, as well, but woodburning is what drove the initial investment(s).

Reactions: Sealcove
I do see several people getting wood delivered in log form, here. Less so with split cord wood, as the core demographic here is people heating with wood to save money, and delivered split cordwood leaves an awful thin margin for any savings over oil or gas.

I’ve never paid for a single stick of wood, but I did pay for a heavier trailer, electric winch, felling equipment, and even upgraded my truck to be able to haul heavier loads. All that equipment gets used for other things, as well, but woodburning is what drove the initial investment(s).

Significant regional differences for sure. I used to buy tree length and then 8' lengths 8 cord at a time. I had a splitter etc, but eventually I realized that the savings of processing the wood myself was just not that great here. Certainly it is cheaper, just not enough cheaper for me and I still save dramatically over burning LPG by doing nothing more than stacking what gets delivered. I do burn some softwood of my land in the shoulder seasons, but really that is more of a way to get rid of the logs in a practical way. :)