Portage & Main optimizer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goosegunner,
That is interesting that you built your own indoor pool. I myself am a DIYer and would certainly consider doing it, especially because I have the equipment to dig it out, that is a whole nother project though :)

Did you happen to document your pool build in a thread or anything similar?

JEBatty,
You make it sound so simple, why didn't I think of that :) It actually does seem fairly straightforward when you explain it and I'm sure like anything else, a little research goes a long way. I am very intrigued by the outdoor wood boiler/gassifier (not sure the differences yet) and am really interested in it. I suppose I will need to have a final plan for my house and once I know all the insulating and window particulars I could start sizing the OWB to my home/garage. I plan to build a bank barn style garage and keep it heated.

I like the idea that some of you have done which is enclosing the OWB in a shed of some sort. Does it give off enough heat to keep the shed warm? I know this would probably be a bad thing as it would be wasted heat, but you could use that to your advantage to heat your wood boiler shed.

Piston said:
Goosegunner,
That is interesting that you built your own indoor pool. I myself am a DIYer and would certainly consider doing it, especially because I have the equipment to dig it out, that is a whole nother project though :)

Did you happen to document your pool build in a thread or anything similar?

JEBatty,
You make it sound so simple, why didn't I think of that :) It actually does seem fairly straightforward when you explain it and I'm sure like anything else, a little research goes a long way. I am very intrigued by the outdoor wood boiler/gassifier (not sure the differences yet) and am really interested in it. I suppose I will need to have a final plan for my house and once I know all the insulating and window particulars I could start sizing the OWB to my home/garage. I plan to build a bank barn style garage and keep it heated.

I like the idea that some of you have done which is enclosing the OWB in a shed of some sort. Does it give off enough heat to keep the shed warm? I know this would probably be a bad thing as it would be wasted heat, but you could use that to your advantage to heat your wood boiler shed.

yes it keeps the shed warm.

Why not build shed(plus a little insulation) and put in a less expensive indoor gasser?

Sounds like a good idea!

My indoor gasser is inside a garage, which i built an 8x12 boiler room. Insulated R-19. No other heat in the room. I start a fire every 24 hours or so. Room stays comfy in between burns. And i live in kind of a cold climate.

Also, i put my wood in with a FEL. It's on pallets, stacked off of the splitter. I got it good.

flyingcow said:
If you're going to enclose an OWb in a shed....Why not build shed(plus a little insulation) and put in a less expensive indoor gasser?

By the time it's done it won't be much if any less expensive ,but you have a nice place out of the weather to load, clean, and if you make the shed a little bigger some wood storage and a warm place to drink beer.With the shed and 1000 gallon storage I have the same money in mine as I would of with an outdoor gassifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.