1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

possible feed rate issue?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by movemaine, Dec 4, 2012.

1. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    ok,

Seemed like stove temp wasn't as hot as I expect.

So I cleaned the stove (fine box was packed full and solidified) and oiled up the feed plate.

I decided to re-calibrate the feed rate, just for giggles.

So I have the Harman running on stove temp / high / 7 / feed rate 6 (so full out) - and the pellets aren't even getting close to the edge or going over...

Does this mean I'm just burning ultra efficient? or is the pellet stove not feeding enough pellets?

Or is it the pellets - Black Hills Okies - 9000 btu?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    What kind of heat is coming out of it? I would think at those settings with those pellets it must be scary hot, hotter than I want to run mine.:eek:
  3. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    How is the heat output?
  4. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    How many seconds/minute is it feeding pellets? I would think it would be close to almost continuous.
  5. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    you must be roasting my stove is on the lowest setting possible and its well over 75 in here
  6. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403

Not enough information. What is your venting consist of? When is the last time you pulled the combustion blower? When was the last time you can the brush all the way through the left exhaust port (all the way)? I would love to see the elusive 9000 btu pellet (someone is blowing smoke up your chimney).

Eric
  7. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yeah, that's the thing - the feed rate wasn't continuous - not even close. I'll need to actually time it.
  8. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    My venting is up through my chimney (no OAK)
    I pulled the blower at the end of last season
    I use the brush every cleaning (weekly) - and bury it as far as it will go (but how far is that?) It goes double the amount the right one does, but I read somewhere that some people can bury it to the loop handle.
    and the Black Hills are listed as 9038btu on the bag.
  9. Justin M

Justin M Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    If you look in the right port with a flashlight you will be able to see the brush when it has gone all the way through from the left. If you slide out the insert and pull off the door for the exhaust area by the combustion blower you can also see the same area very well.
  10. movemaine

Loc:
    Central Maine
    feed rate (control panel indicator) was 35 seconds on full out (6) feed rate.
  11. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    the stove controls itself by internal temp, timing it out doesn't mean a whole lot.
  12. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    if the unit isn't running at least close to "good" it will shut itelf down and give you the old 6 blinks on the status light indicating incomplete combustion. Anytime the internal temp is way off for longer than about 50 minutes and its not able to compensate it should set the status light a blinking and shut down. If you are not experiencing that, I wouldn't assume anything is all that wrong....unless of course your ESP is not functioning correctly and whatnot.