Possible storm collar problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash11

Jan 28, 2009
Southern Michigan
We were gone for a night when we had a big rain a couple weeks ago. When I came home I found my pile of papers (for starting fires) next to the stove had been damp. I looked up and saw a drip trail coming from between my support box and the chimney pipe. Now, I'm almost positive it's NOT my roof leaking. So the only other possibility is the storm collar is leaking. Has anyone else had issues with this piece of the chimney? I didn't really like how it installed in the first place, and I hate relying on caulk for sealing. I would rather there was some kind of mechanical system. Like a rubber gasket that gets hose clamped or something. Opinions?

Not sure what type of system you have up top, but for the
most part, 25-30 year clear GE silicone works very well
for sealing the storm collar (SC) to the Class A & flashing.
I'd make sure that there were COPIOUS amounts of
of silicone UNDER the SC - where it meets the flashing -
as well as on top.
If the SC isn't pressed down into silicone on top of the flashing,
there's a chance that during a heavy rain, water will splash up under the SC,
hit the OD of the chimney & run down...
This is especially true on steep roofs, because the SC is closer to the roofing material
If you can post a pic of your set-up, the diagnosis may be made easier...

If you have a Class A, stainless-type chimney, sometime driven rain gets into the vertical seam of each section. When you have the silicon out, also caulk each seam to seal it. That solved the leaking problem I had, even after doing everything I could think of regarding the storm collar. Good luck.

If it's not the roof or storm flashing, think inside house air condensing on a cold chimney pipe if the box to ceiling and pipe to chimney joints aren't relatively air tight. Happend to me.

jebatty said:
If you have a Class A, stainless-type chimney, sometime driven rain gets into the vertical seam of each section. When you have the silicon out, also caulk each seam to seal it. That solved the leaking problem I had, even after doing everything I could think of regarding the storm collar. Good luck.

+1. I had a leak where water was slipping behind the caulk that only went halfway up the seam on a 3' section of Class A. The installers came out and ran a bead the rest of the way up the seam, and this fixed the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.