1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Post a pic of your woodhauler

Post in 'The Gear' started by bigbarf48, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I was thinking the same thing....a few Northeast Winters, and it would look a lot different

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Camo dogs require bright collars...don't judge.:)

Osage - nothing wrong with that - My dog gets an orange collar and sometimes an orange vest during the winter because there are too many coyote haters around here and he has a striking resemblence to the song dog! take a look at my avitar :)

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      272.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I use whatever I have handy. (and here is another dodge pic;)) By the way - the loader bucket full was from a single large round. And yes, I gotz the stuff to handle big wood.

100_1078.jpg 100_1539sm.jpg alkfirewood2.jpg alkfirewood4.jpg hackberry.JPG logsplitter 007sm.jpg

Attached Files:

ScotO, Gasifier and smokinj like this.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I bought me a auto self-loader with a smile. ;)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
  5. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We had a dark 'yote near me last year that looked just like him. nice archery tackle ya got there.
  6. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Osage - that one is a Asbel era Bighorn - I have 2 of them with 4 sets of limbs and a dozen or more other longbows and curves hanging around here. More addictive than saws in my world.

For the record - do you cringe a little like I do when you see someone with stacks of osage cut and split for firewood? I have burned a little and it is some awesome heat but dang do I think about all the bows going up in smoke!!
    WriteNoob likes this.
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not around these parts, you don't. Dang stuff grows like weeds and have virtually invaded most fence rows (the ones that are left).
  8. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Custom trailer and JD 420

Attached Files:

smokinj and Gasifier like this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Jags,

What year is that cab over? That is an old Jeep right?
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    FC-150 (Jeep). 1959.
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Sweet. I can't believe Chrysler has not built a new Jeep since they stopped making the J-10, J-20 and J-30s.
  12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not sure I understand. Grand Cherokee, Safari, Compass, etc.
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

14. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    I get all my wood on the back of the farm about 1/2 mile back, so I don't need to haul on the road or use a truck anymore. But I do have several "tools" to help collect/move/haul the wood, some of which make it pretty dang fun at times!

Most of the running back and forth to the woods is in the Kawasaki Mule. I can haul saws and tools easily with it. I buck in the woods and haul the rounds up to the barn/processing area using the mule, sometimes with a trailer. The JD 755 loader I use for moving and loading bigger rounds to haul and occasionally for pulling a log out for better working access, etc. The Mule also works well for skidding logs out and about.

I use my lawn JD x740 lawn mower and a trailer to haul the splits into the garage for burning. the trailer is actually the frame from a 1963 Tradewinds pop up camper that my parents used to have! A load is about 1/3 or so of a face cord, and depending on the season and type of wood that will last us 1-2 weeks. We leave the tractor and trailer right in the attached garage and fill our wood bag right from it. very handy!

Took us a long while to get here, but man I really enjoy and appreciate being able to have these "tools". Over the years we have hauled wood in lawn carts, wheelbarrows, toboggans, and even Pinto station wagons! It's all good.

Attached are some pics...

Attached Files:

smokinj, ScotO and Jags like this.
  15. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    No. FC150. The 150 is a 4 cylinder and the 170 was a six cylinder and typically longer. The FC series went though a TON of versions (Narrow, wide, long, short, pto shaft, water trucks, fire trucks (mini ones)) and about any attachment that you could think of. I still have not found anybody that could identify what the rear attachment on mine would have been used for.
    100_1540.jpg
  16. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I don't want to hijack this into a jeep thread, but just to show how tough they are and keep it wood related...a Jeep FC170 hauling logs:
    FC-170 Hauling Trees.jpg

Go here to see many variations:
    http://thefcconnection.com/fc_gallery.htm
    basod and ScotO like this.
  17. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I love that green trailer AJ. the last pic.

[​IMG]
    smokinj likes this.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We had another post like this a while back but here are my humble toys, again.....

Warm weather hauling toys....

2012-02-19_13-25-34_756.jpg 2012-02-19_13-26-58_159.jpg Firewood.jpg 2012-06-02_10-58-54_408.jpg 2012-10-01_17-37-28_877.jpg 2012-10-27_11-09-36_124.jpg

And here's my snowy weather hauler......

2012-01-22_13-19-21_448.jpg 2013-02-03_15-55-58_84.jpg Sledandmule.jpg

And here's my old 18' cuddy cabin boat trailer turned log hauler....I use this old girl to haul the logs from the jobsite to the mill, and haul the boards from the mill back to the house. No, my toys are NOT very pretty. But yes, they all DO get the job done.....

2012-12-23_12-17-47_290.jpg
  19. ScotO

ScotO Guest

You could put quite a stack of springs on those old Jeeps. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the FC170's had a Dana 60 under the ass-end, didn't they?
  20. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    ScotO likes this.
  21. Caseihmech

Caseihmech New Member

Loc:
    Kennewick, Wa
    Yeah over here in eastern Washington (the desert side) we see some snow. Not like you guys do on the east cost. This year we got 1". A couple of years ago we got about 6". Nothing terrible.
  22. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich

Thanks. It was a 1963 Tradewinds pop up camper that my folks had and I just "repurposed" it over the summer. Torsion bar suspension and it's a great around the yard utlility trailer and final wood hauler.
  23. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    Getting some "poles" from out back. Messin round 016.jpg Messin round 015.jpg
    ScotO and smokinj like this.
  24. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Nice F450. I'd like to upgrade my flatbed to something like that one day.
  25. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    It's a good truck, rubber floor, AC diesel & 6sp. I got it from a contractor I know, it was his truck and had a "tool" body on it. $10k & 54k miles. I was happy. Built the bed and bought a dump hoist. I needed a truck with a stick for my GN trailer (after 4 count em 4 auto trannys in my 350) I run it on the property on heating oil, can't do that with the new ones.
    ScotO likes this.