1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Post a picture or two of the area where you live...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Swedishchef, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Loc:
    N TX
    Our place here in the heart of Texas. Figure there is about a cord or two of oak stacked in a unique fashion on the front porch. That porch was poured around that oak 60+ years ago...about time to enlarge the hole in the roof. We have 23 mature oaks on our 1/2 acre in town. In-laws have 160 acres 15 minutes from us. Loving life.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    My house:
    2012-08-19 16.29.55.jpg
    My town, you can see the Bath Iron Works crane in the background:
    dwontown bath.jpg
    downtown bath II.jpg
    Bath.png
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Cross Cut . . . you don't by any chance live on High Street do you? I was down your way on Thanksgiving doing some geocaching at Sewall Woods and passed a home that had a bunch of firewood in the yard . . . of course I realize here in Maine having firewood in the yard is not all that unusual.
  4. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    NICE property, too bad its in CT ;) (I grew up in Vernon)

Does your 2.5 acres include the pond? I would like to build a similiar sized pond on my 3 acres.

5. BEConklin

BEConklin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I used to live in Vernon myself. Back in the early 80s I was the live in superintendent at a 164 unit apartment complex on the corner of Center and Regan Roads. After that I lived for a while up in Springville Mill in Rockville.

This house is in East Haddam. The pond is entirely on the property - so, yes the 2.5 acres includes the pond. The former owner had the dam and spillway for it built before he built the house. It's a nice feature and I can understand why he did it -there's groundwater running into the pond in three spots around it. If the pond wasn't there we'd have a swamp down that end. The house is high and dry as well as the land to the north of the house.

We've also got 11 acres of woodland up in Canterbury with frontage on the Quinebaug - between that and the trees I have to take down at the house in East Haddam, we should have no lack for firewood in the foreseeable future.
  6. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Nice, I grew up in the south part of town off of lake street.

That sounds like my property, the house is built on the edge of the property and smack dab in the middle of the property its low, swampy and useless with a small brook running along the edge of the property, only thing growing there is a couple of swamp maples and some small pines. Was thinking about clearing the woods out a big digging a hole and having the brook run through it, definitly have the perfect spot for it.

20120812_115337 (Medium).jpg

Gasifier likes this.
  7. charly

charly Guest

Wife and I head up to Saco Maine every year for a week.. We love it up there...I had to laugh we were eating at the Maine dinner and heard one local guy say even though he moved to Maine when he was only a year old,,, he's still considered to be "From Away";)...thought that was cool!
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Wife lived in Rockville for a few years with her now ex-husband . . . moved to Maine though to escape the madness there.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    Nope, I'm about 2 blocks East of High on Dummer St.

It's really an unfortunate name for a street, yes, it is pronounced just like summer, but with a D. :p
  10. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    I used to live on town street. Lovely place, particularly driving over the river in winter with the eagles right about bridge height.
    raybonz likes this.
  11. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Love NYS
  12. BEConklin

Loc:
    Connecticut
    It is a lovely town indeed. Our house is out near Lake Hayward.. Maybe 5 minutes from Devil's Hopyard. Driving through there it's hard to believe you're still in CT.
  13. BEConklin

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I hear ya - we moved out of the Hartford area to get away from that same madness.....we didn't make it out of CT though - just found a more quiet corner with less madness.
  14. BEConklin

Loc:
    Connecticut
    The deck's almost done....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know why they put a garage door there....there's never been a driveway leading to it. We've got a set of double entry doors on order to replace the garage door. I'll use the area under the deck to store dry, seasoned firewood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

facing south - you can just barely see the road beyond the pines at the end of the pond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    Here are a couple of pictures of our summer home in Trinity, Newfoundland. We're several hundred miles directly east of Swedishchef's home in the Gaspe. Our next stop east would be Ireland. 407944_10151241582718347_398924181_n.jpg 101_0242.JPG
  16. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Great looking place!

Gary
  17. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Looking at these pics I feel like I live in a shack lol..

Ray
  18. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Hey! Your place looks great. It's fun to travel, but there is no place like home.:)
    raybonz likes this.
  19. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0001.JPG
    A couple of places about a mile from our house. Weather permitting we walk by them every day.
  20. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    ChipTam: Nice place you got there. Are you actually from Newfoundland and living in michigan? Or are you a person from Michigan with a summer home in Newfoundland? ;) There are a few American retirees who have purchased summers homes out my way: affordable ocenaside property! I would move to Newfoundland in a second but getting to/from the Island when your family is on mainland becomes a PITA.

Rideau: you're right; there's no place like home. But I am a firm believer than home is where you hang your hat.

CHuckster: that is a nice field of sunflowers. I bet the birds love it come August!!
  21. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I have been waiting for some snow, it always looks better! The first is the view of the pond from the deck.

[​IMG]

Note the ash bucket on the front step (it's empty)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  22. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Hi Swedishchef,
    We're Michiganders who grew up on the east coast of the United States and missed the ocean. We vacationed in Newfoundland for a couple of summers and then found a nineteenth-century home in Trinity in desperate need of repair. We purchased it about 15 years ago and spent the first five summers working on it. I'm a cabinetmaker by trade so I was able to do a lot of the work myself. My wife and I are now retired and spend about 5 1/2 months in Canada.

By the way, about 25 years ago, my wife and I took a driving trip up to the Gaspe and Point Perce (sorry no accents on my computer). You live in a beautiful part of the world! I especially remember the bee-hive ovens by the side of the road where you could purchase the best home-made bread right out of the oven.

Chip Tam
    fishingpol and raybonz like this.
  23. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey Chip!

Gotcha! We can call you a converted Newfie! Do you drive or fly into St John's?

Perce is a nice place. I was not raised here, I moved here 6 years ago and will likely be moving in the next 2. It is a wonderful spot and we go to Perce quite a few times in the summer for some R&R. I am 45 mins away from Perce in the town of Gaspe.

There's nothing better than home made bread...ugh.

Andrew
  24. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Hi Andrew,
    We drive to St. John's. Actually, we're about 2 1/2 hours north-east of St. John's on the Bonavista Peninsula. The drive from Michigan takes us about 3 1/2 days although last November it took us an additional 4 days to get back to Michigan as we waited for the seas to calm down on the Gulf of St. Laurence and the ferry to resume it's schedule. Going to Newfoundland, we cross the Detroit River to Windsor and go all the way through Canada. We get off Route 2 at Riviere du Loup and head south-east through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Talking about it, I'm already missing Newfoundland.

Chip
  25. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    It's a beautiful place...but the taxes and politicians are brutal. That scenery right there is one of the few reasons we are still here. Darn hard to duplicate, without finding a pretty equal set of negatives!!