1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Potatoe trash can gardening

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Adios Pantalones, May 15, 2013.

1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Spelt juss like Dan Quayle

I want to try the trash can gardening method, but am worried they won't get enough sun down there in the bottom of the can (barely get a full day of sun in my yard as it is). Do you tip it south-facing, and brace it up, or what?

Looks like a great way to maximize space

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I've heard of doing it in old tires, that way you can keep stacking them up. No sun issues there.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Grew my tomatoes and cucumbers last year in tires. Will be doing the same thing this year.

My sister in Alaska grew potatoes in the same fashion as Lukem mentioned . . . just stack 'em up when needed.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    The trash can thing has been around quite a while (my uncle did it when I was a kid), so there must be something to it. Tires sound like a great idea, but not sure I need to add tires to the junk in my yard :) I bet a frame that you could just add slats taken off a pallet would work great. Add the boards as needed
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I've seen that done too...almost forgot about it. The one I saw was really nice, but you could probably do it much less expensively. It was made with some leftover deck project materials (cedar)

Basically it was 4 4x4 posts set in the ground about 36" apart in a square..about 3-4' high. Each post had a 1.5" by 1.5" groove routed on the "interior side". 5/4" deck board drop right down in the grooves. A 2/4 was added to the tops of the posts on the outside (not the top, need room to get new slats in there) to tie it together as it will generate a lot of outward pressure as it fills up.

He would add a board, a little dirt, and a couple flakes of straw, and water every so often until he ran out boards. I never saw how hard/easy it was to take apart, but I think it would work pretty slick. If you went out to buy materials for this it would be pricey, but I would think you could do something similar pretty inexpensively.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Just 4 posts in the ground should work- could frame them together at the top. Put in boards, add soil- the soil should keep the board in place without the channel. Criss-cross them at the ends. a little shredded leaves around the edge will keep soil in place in the open areas. Huh- you could do a wide bank of this and get hyper production in a small area, I'd think
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Give it a go. I did the till and hill method this year again. Starting to loose it's appeal.
  8. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I don't want to have to expand the garden, but I do want to add taters, so something vertical will happen (probably planting on Sunday)

Just a loop of garden fence, like I do for a compost pile, should work as well.
  9. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia