poulan 300 chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
My poulan 300 chain saw will runs for about 3 seconds then stop running I have put on new gas lines, cleaned the filter, new spark plug, cleand the carb, taken off the spark surpresser., put frech gas in it. does any on have any ideas?
Thanks Jim

Mine won't even run for 3 sec. - They are junk.
Get a Stihl - I know that's not very helpful, but it really is the answer.
Pullan's are made for Harry Home Owner and are subject to all kinds of EPA choking.
If you get a Pro Stihl it will run properly without all the emissions junk for a long time.
Funny isn't it - buy the EPA certified machine and it winds up in the landfill very quickly?
Backwards as usual.
Sorry about the rant.

'Frank

Ha Frank
thanks for the advice. What sthil model do you think i should buy.
Jim

jim c said:
Ha Frank
thanks for the advice. What sthil model do you think i should buy.
Jim

LOL.....

What are you using the saw for? How big are the trees you cut, hardwood, soft, how many cords a year?

If you are going to go huge, skip the Stihl, and get a Dolmar though. More bang, less buck.

Dolmar is a good saw. I have sthil but have seen the Dolmars run. I have no idea how they hold up but they do cut perty strong.

I had a Poulan that did that. It had a cracked crank case behind the flywheel. When cooled off the crack would seal up enough to let you start up. After it got runing it would shake the crack enough to suck air and lean it out.

I dont know dolmar sizes but I would not get anything smaller than a sthil 290 if i was limited to just one saw. The 440 is too big for general use but great on bigger stuff witha 24 inch bar. Something like a sthil 361 is just right for a one saw show. Best if you had two bars, one 16 and a 20.

If you got pinched up you could take the motor loose from the stuck bar and get your self out with the other.

Saw-dust said:
Dolmar is a good saw. I have sthil but have seen the Dolmars run. I have no idea how they hold up but they do cut perty strong.

I had a Poulan that did that. It had a cracked crank case behind the flywheel. When cooled off the crack would seal up enough to let you start up. After it got runing it would shake the crack enough to suck air and lean it out.

I dont know dolmar sizes but I would not get anything smaller than a sthil 290 if i was limited to just one saw. The 440 is too big for general use but great on bigger stuff witha 24 inch bar. Something like a sthil 361 is just right for a one saw show. Best if you had two bars, one 16 and a 20.

If you got pinched up you could take the motor loose from the stuck bar and get your self out with the other.

Very good suggestions. The 361 would be a great saw, but at $600 is a bit pricey.

Dolmar 5100 has a 50cc engine, 4 horsepower, cranks out almost 15,000 rpm's, can handle a 16-20 inch bar, and one can get it for under 400 bucks.

As for quality, everything I've heard and read (arborist sites) has been that the Dolmar's are excellent. They are made in Germany, just outside of Hambourg, and they don't sacrifice quality for price.

Dolmar is trying ot break into the US market, and that is why they've come with such a competitively priced product.

Again I don't know this guys situation..... Because if money is really a problem, then maybe looking at buying a used Makita rental saw from the home depot is the way to go. I've heard of people getting these from 180-250 dollars. These saws are actually made by Dolmar (Makita bought Dolmar a few years ago), and are in the 64 cc range, but are quite a bit heavier then the 5100. Might be a decent way to go though if money is a problem.

My Pull-on likes to shake the carb loose - when the screws get loose it can cause all sorts of strange running problems, and its a little hard to spot because the filter bracketry tends to hold the carb in place. Take that off and check the carb - crankcase screws.

(also check the muffler, it likes to get rid of that also... it's a saw that likes to shake all it's parts off pretty much... As others said, basically a POS, but you run what you got...)

Gooserider

see if you can find a used stihl 60cc or so. i have a 036 with a 20" bar (036/360/361 all about the same thing) and i love it. it cuts through really big stuff and does great with small stuff too. revs up good for me and doesnt use too much gas. i got it used and it is better than all those cheap ones at lowes and home depot. it will last for years. for up here around $200 is a good price for a saw like that maybe even a little higher. a new one is around $700 or more. as soon as you cut for 10 minutes it will be the exact same as a used one for 3 or 4 hundred less. warantee shouldnt be of concern. parts are fairly cheap on any thing you would have to replace and you realy shouldnt have to replace any thing. a pulan/craftsman etc. are plastic and made to run until they die and throw away. parts cost more than a new one and wear out fast. the less plastic parts the better the only catch is the less plastic the more precious metal parts and the more expesive to have a pracitcal weight. stihl cost more but last forever. i know many people here with saws 25-30 years old and only have minor scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies.