Power still out due to negligent woodlot management.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a pretty big tow stem Noway maple on the street edge of my property. The power lines on the street and the ones to my house went through it. When one of the hurricanes was coming we called the power company and the phone company to ask them to clear the lines. They both told us that they would not do that, but would be happy to repair any damage done by the tree. We called the town and they told us it was out tree. My tree guy friend told me that he wouldn't go in the tree because of all the wires through it. We left it and nothing happened. A few years later and Asplundh crew came through and marked the smaller stem. I bought some ribbon and marked the bigger stem too. They cut the whole thing and a year and a half later a tree 700' down the street fell took down the wires, and left us with no power for 5 days!
Before and after.View attachment 73616View attachment 73617

That is freaking inspired.

TE

We have a very large elm right on the property line between us and some neighbors we've never got along with. If I could do it with out killing the tree I would remove everything that comes over to our side of the property line. Of course that would be half the trunk so not possible. I know if it dies we would both be responsible for taking it down. Because they have built very close and all around their half of the tree, removal expenses will be high, might even require a crane. A growing liability that I am not looking forward to dealing with and why should I be responsible for 50% of removal costs when they were the ones who increased costs dramatically by building right next to the dang thing?

I have been busy getting all the trees removed that could fall on the house or garage. We have many mature trees here. I don't miss any of the ones I had had removed. Just one big maple left next to the garage. I've been waiting on my son to come over with his ATV so we can put some tension on it when we pull it down. We still have many trees hanging over the power lines. Too much for us to handle.

. We left it and nothing happened. A few years later an Asplundh crew came through and marked the smaller stem. I bought some ribbon and marked the bigger stem too. They cut the whole thing and a year and a half later a tree 700' down the street fell, took down the wires, and left us with no power for 5 days!
Before and after.View attachment 73616View attachment 73617

When they were re paving our road the foreman went around with a can of spray paint marking how far they would pave up everyone's drive and how they would tie in the mailbox area. I didn't like how they planned to handle my driveway. So I remarked the area myself. Wasn't even the same color but it worked.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
When they were re paving our road the foreman went around with a can of spray paint marking how far they would pave up everyone's drive and how they would tie in the mailbox area. I didn't like how they planned to handle my driveway. So I remarked the area myself. Wasn't even the same color but it worked.

Nicely done!

Reactions: save$
Seems most want it both ways.
Don't cut or prune my trees for insurance against them falling on the power lines & Don't raise the rates to pay for power line ROW maintenance.

Yet I don't want to loose power & I want my power back on quickly after a weather event takes it out.

No free lunch; BUT : lots of "free firewood",
With preventative maintenance or after a weather event for wood scroungers/burners :)

Also don't cut my trees because I like them, they provide a buffer to the road a neighbor, etc.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage

Mike, that is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.