Power Venting a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JV_Thimble said:
If you're holding off for now on this, but are thinking of doing it in the future, it's a good time to start collecting wood. Another important part of wood stove operation is having dry fuel (often overlooked).

BINGO!!!!!

Wood long before the stove is a great plan so it can dry.

As far as wood goes....I have been reading a lot of people saying only to use dry hardwood...I was going to use slab wood like every other poor broke bastard I live near. I have known many people to use slab wood as their only source of burning, with no issues. But I have had people tell me creosote is going to build up and catch on fire if I burn slab wood. Anyone have any facts to back this up they would be willing to share?

dgarver said:
As far as wood goes....I have been reading a lot of people saying only to use dry hardwood...I was going to use slab wood like every other poor broke bastard I live near. I have known many people to use slab wood as their only source of burning, with no issues. But I have had people tell me creosote is going to build up and catch on fire if I burn slab wood. Anyone have any facts to back this up they would be willing to share?
Not true at all. Any wood, hard, soft, slab, etc will burn just fine providing it is seasoned and dry. The only real exception is pressure treated wood or kiln dried lumber. They will burn very hot and may be hard to control, plus the PT wood gives off a dangerous gas when burnt. If all you have is slab, as long as it is dry, which is not hard with slab, you should be fine.

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with slab wood, per se. However, two issues do come to mind: 1.) it's probably pretty green, as most of it will be from freshly harvested timber; 2.) most of it will contain more bark, etc., than heartwood, so it will potentially have less heating value than traditional cord wood.

Understand that creosote is far, far more a function of how well or poorly a wood supply is seasoned - not a function of the species. Creosote is a problem caused by excess moisture and/or poor burning practices (e.g., cooler, smoldering fires).

So, if you want to use slab wood, get it now and get it stacked in the dry and you should be fine.

Pagey said:
As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with slab wood, per se. However, two issues do come to mind: 1.) it's probably pretty green, as most of it will be from freshly harvested timber; 2.) most of it will contain more bark, etc., than heartwood, so it will potentially have less heating value than traditional cord wood.

Understand that creosote is far, far more a function of how well or poorly a wood supply is seasoned - not a function of the species. Creosote is a problem caused by excess moisture and/or poor burning practices (e.g., cooler, smoldering fires).

So, if you want to use slab wood, get it now and get it stacked in the dry and you should be fine.

If I lay some pallets on the ground, stack the slab wood on it, and cover it with a tarp, is that sufficient enough to dry it, or do I need to build a real shelter for it?

If you do not have it yet, it will very difficult to season this year. Maybe bring it in a shed and get a good fan blowing on it to speed up the process. Burn it hot and clean your chimney often.

Well, this is looking to be something we may install this coming summer, and use next winter. I can get bundles of slab wood dirt cheap, so I will get some in the following weeks and set it up. Hopefully the summer will help it to dry enough. I will get enough that by the second year I will have 18 month seasoned wood at least.

dgarver said:
Pagey said:

If I lay some pallets on the ground, stack the slab wood on it, and cover it with a tarp, is that sufficient enough to dry it, or do I need to build a real shelter for it?

That will be fine.
Many people do that, after a year it should be good to burn.

slab wood, what is it? I'm a carpenter in Mass and I can't say I hear that term very often, if at all.

My Oslo heats my home said:
slab wood, what is it? I'm a carpenter in Mass and I can't say I hear that term very often, if at all.
They are usually the first and second cut off a log at the mill. Typically very thin and often has lots of bark. Dries fast and burn well depending on species of course. Can be had cheap. I use it to make kindling.
464656443_6805e8ea3a.jpg

SKIN052 said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
They are usually the first and second cut off a log at the mill. Typically very thin and often has lots of bark. Dries fast and burn well depending on species of course. Can be had cheap. I use it to make kindling.
464656443_6805e8ea3a.jpg

Good description . . . I too use my slabs for kindling and for use in the Spring and Fall for those quick, hot fires to take the chill out of the house.

Exactly^^^^ Plus, I can get those bundles for 20$ a piece. 25$ each delivered. Even if i have to clean the stove every other day, and used 10 bundles a year(unrealisticly high) I am still miles and miles ahead of the 400$+ per month electric bill. We don't have access to Natural gas, my home is all electric.

dgarver said:
Exactly^^^^ Plus, I can get those bundles for 20$ a piece. 25$ each delivered. Even if i have to clean the stove every other day, and used 10 bundles a year(unrealisticly high) I am still miles and miles ahead of the 400$+ per month electric bill. We don't have access to Natural gas, my home is all electric.
Good price for sure. I would have an issue burning it constantly though since it will burn up fast making it hard to get a prolonged burn. 18 month seasoned slab wood should be dry as bone. Try and scrounge yourself some good cord wood now and mix it in with the slab and you will be fine.

Look on Craigslist people sell chimneys all the time ... u can save yourself a lot of money that way ...

That's funny you should mention that, we have been looking over the weekend, there are tons of people selling chimneys and stoves for half price or better. Who cares if they are used as long as they are in good working order right? I am now rethinking the type/brand of wood stove to get after seeing some more models that are out there with a lifetime warranty.

dgarver said:
That's funny you should mention that, we have been looking over the weekend, there are tons of people selling chimneys and stoves for half price or better. Who cares if they are used as long as they are in good working order right? I am now rethinking the type/brand of wood stove to get after seeing some more models that are out there with a lifetime warranty.

I wouldn't care , plus later you can always box it in and match your house
What stove are you looking at?

iceman said:
dgarver said:

I wouldn't care , plus later you can always box it in and match your house
What stove are you looking at?

Well, to be honest, there were a few Vogelzang ones that we found at Northern Tool for pretty cheap(relatively speaking) but now we are looking at Drolet and even Harman if we can find a used one. Do you have any recommendations? We would like to get a pretty decent sized one, capable of heating 2000 sq. feet, even though we have only 1600 sq. feet, but we may finish the basement next year or year after so I am thinking for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.