Powerlog?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lucy said:
Jimbob said:
Driving home from work the other day, I noticed a sign for these in front of a wood stove store.
http://thepowerlog.com/

Which stove shop in the city, I might pick one up to use in the fireplace when Spring finally arrives, just to try out the product. They seem to be manufactured in Brandon which makes sense considering its an agricultural area. Txs

Prairie fireplaces/Hearth & Patio on Route 90, just south of Logan.
http://www.prairiefireplaces.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=9

Let me know how well they work for you. :)

BeGreen said:
DWBMHD said:
DonNC said:
DWBMHD said:
It only says it has more BTU's per pound than oak cordwood.... the question is how much more?

Right

If it has very little more BTUs than oak... but burns over a 15 hour period, then you will be getting less heat per hour from these things and in the colder climates that might not work out for you

I just talked to a rep and he stated that it had 8,644 btu per lb...what is oak per pound?

Never burned flax before, but here are some comparisons:

HomeFire's Prest-Logs: BTUs: 8730 btus/lb. Each log is 5 lbs or 43,650 btus
Northern Idaho Energy Logs: BTUs: 8,600 btus/lb. Each log is 8 lbs or 68,800 btus
BioBricks: BTUs: estimated 8,500 btus/lb. Each brick is 2 lbs or 17,000 btus

Very good.

Buried in the text, it says that each PowerLog weighs 4.5lbs.

BeGreen said:
DonNC said:
One of the leadership members of this forum should go here and contact them for a free sample. I think they will be happy to send it

http://thepowerlog.com/power-log-promotions.asp

I went through the site and cannot find anything about how many BTUs or how hot it will make the stove. What good is a 15 hour fire if its only 250 degrees?

Inquiry sent.

BG, Did they ever get back to you?

We've been in contact. I am expecting the OMNI lab testing results on the product soon. So far it sounds like an interesting product.

It is interesting that this finally came up on the site. I had been resisting the temptation to do any sort of mention of them so as to avoid the appearance of pumping up a friend's product line.

I have used a few of these and liked how they burned. Full disclosure..... I know the manufacturer personally and I know how incredibly focused he is on providing a consistent and quality product.

If we did not have such ready access to firewood, and I have spoken with the owner about this, I would definitely be adding powerlogs to my burning routine.

The product has zero fillers or binding agents so it is as clean a product as you are going to find. The company is able to produce a staggering amount of product with their patented process. In many ways I wish that I had been in a position to invest in this when they first started experimenting with it. The thing that I really like about them is the fact that their is no glue, wax or any other messy substance involved.

If you are liking the concept talk to your retailers and stove shops about purchasing lift lots. Now I think back and realize that I should have traded my friend a "hearth.com endorsement" for a lift of powerlogs.

Sounds like you would be a much better candidate for testing them. It'll be expensive to ship 60+lbs from Manitoba to here and I doubt that I will see them sold locally. However, trading for endorsement is not so cool. A good review should be objective, reporting strengths, warts and all.

I agree on the trading for endorsement comment which is why tongue was planted firmly in cheek.

The few I used were good and I would love to try more but given that the owner is in start up phase I would need to buy them and I would be at best a subjective tester given that I am a simple wood burner with a small non-epa stove which hardly makes for scientific evidence.

lowroadacres said:
The few I used were good....

Do you remember how many hours they lasted?
I hope your friend is successful in his business venture. For one, it's nice to see a successful company starting up in Manitoba.
Also, flax straw is in plentiful supply out here, and it would be nice to see a use for it. Too bad he didn't start this just as the Iso-Board plant shut down, as there were several TONNES of flax straw all in one place.
I phoned Prairie Fireplace in Winnipeg to get a price, and they quoted me $12 for a box of 4. That works out to $3 per log.
At 4.5 lbs each, that works out to 66.6 cents per pound, or $1330 per ton.
I'm curious on how well they work, but not that curious. C/S/D firewood is less than $300 per ton out here.
I would think a person could buy them at their plant for less, but I don't know for sure.

that's fancy, good to see the compressed-biomass products expanding outside of the realm of wood sawdust!

Those are the exact same shape as the logs at the feed store, I'm not sure of the content. They sell the ones here and call them "Canadian" fire logs... Are they the same or different? I like the ones that are for sale here but I am unsure of it being the same. We also have the "North Idaho" logs. The difference is the Canadians burn less hot but longer and the Idahos burn hotter for a shorter period.

RNLA said:
Those are the exact same shape as the logs at the feed store, I'm not sure of the content. They sell the ones here and call them "Canadian" fire logs... Are they the same or different? I like the ones that are for sale here but I am unsure of it being the same. We also have the "North Idaho" logs. The difference is the Canadians burn less hot but longer and the Idahos burn hotter for a shorter period.

Did the Canadian ones you saw say "flax" anywhere on the label or sign? If so, they are probably the same. It sounds like they just started making these ones, so if you saw them a long time ago, they might not be the ones.

Here's a bit of background information:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/manitoba-flax-plant-branches-out-94646979.html

RNLA said:

Those "Canadian" logs are actually made in Ferndale, WA, and called Home Fire Prest-logs. Think at one time they were made in Canada but moved to this side of this border. They are not the same company as what the original poster is showin, but they look similiar

http://www.homefirelogs.com/index.php/firelogs

Got an actual brand for the 'Canadian' logs? The HomeFires I tested were exceptional burners. But they were about 2 lbs lighter than the Northern Idaho logs and 15% less expensive, so I wouldn't expect them to last as long. Still, the Homefires still gave an exceptional long burn of about 11 hrs in a medium sized stove. I was impressed enough to buy some extras to keep on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.