Prefab conversion cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
There have been a few prefab fireplace conversions discussed here. I don't recall mention of the cost. Excluding the stove, what cost can I anticipate? I spoke with one person who mentioned that they do their installs by going right out back wall and not use the chimney at all. I might prefer this as I don't climb anymore and I would like to be able to do the cleaning. We go back and fourth about the need. My wife still complains if I let the house temp go below72F. So far a little electric space heater takes the edge off for her.

The price could vary greatly depending on the installation, and what parts can be saved and reused (Hearth/mantel etc).

Are you talking about a free standing stove or an insert?

Are you going to do this yourself?

Here is what I ended up doing:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84537/P22/

I saved and reused the marble hearth, and mantel.
All the rockboard, drywall, tile, mortar, wiring, cost approx $500.00
The rip out and rebuild took 40 man hours, but I did this work myself, and I'm a very qualified person.
The stove installer charged $650.00 (labor only) to come put it in the wall with venting and OAK.
The installer charged me $632.00 (Materials) for a 4" vent and OAK (I requested 6' vert set up for good drafting, and a cleanout Tee).

If you are looking for an insert install you can save yourself a lot of work and money if you can use the Harman Accentra insert because you can purchase a zero clearance box for a bit over $200.00 instead of building one yourself as I did.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84647/P0/

Look up the technical install manuals for each unit online, and you can look for yourself what's entailed.

I went with the re-badged Enviro M55 for it's BTU, and I extremely happy with it, but it is totally overkill for my house.
I'm now sure the Accentra would have worked, but we haven't hit the cold hard part of winter yet. ;-)

You can add the cost of your stove to this for a rough idea if your install is similar.

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.