Preparing for a future Gasifier, storage location and pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I started out with a used Taylor 450 this year and was actually surprised on the low amount of wood I used from 12/31/10 to 4/1/10. I used about 3.5 cords, though March was fairly warm here.

I would like to build a shed to put the boiler in. I will eventually put in a gasifier and storage to cut down on smoke. I have not buried my underground line yet. So I have a few questions.

I want to use it in summer for DHW and pool heat so I don't want it in my house.
Would it be best to put future boiler and storage in shed 120' from house or storage in attached garage?

Do I need O2 barrier pipe underground if storage is in remote shed?

What is best method to change OWB to pressurized gasifier system? I have forced air water to air HX.

gg

goosegunner said:
I started out with a used Taylor 450 this year and was actually surprised on the low amount of wood I used from 12/31/10 to 4/1/10. I used about 3.5 cords, though March was fairly warm here.

I would like to build a shed to put the boiler in. I will eventually put in a gasifier and storage to cut down on smoke. I have not buried my underground line yet. So I have a few questions.

I want to use it in summer for DHW and pool heat so I don't want it in my house.
Would it be best to put future boiler and storage in shed 120' from house or storage in attached garage?

Do I need O2 barrier pipe underground if storage is in remote shed?

What is best method to change OWB to pressurized gasifier system? I have forced air water to air HX.

gg

I would put the boiler and storage in the attached garage. Just build a small boiler room for it. Best to keep it all as close to the load as possible. Also, all line in a pressurized system needs to be oxy barrier, doesn't matter whether it is underground or not.

I knew about the O2 barrier for pressurized system.

To be more clear can you go from a pressurized system to a unpressurized system through some type of heat exchanger?

gg

Assuming you have an unpressureized OWB and you want to REPLACE it witha pressureized gassifier, you just need to add an expansion tank, and possibly an air seperator as the OWB probably served those functions. Of course check other components to be sure they're rated for pressure, but mostly the difference should be the boiler, no heat exchanger needed or desireable, IMHO.

Keep at least the storage as close to the heat load as possible to reduce the slug of cold water that would come from the zones coming on. You can save a lot of money if you don't have to bury the lines. If you have an OWB, then I suppose you could keep things piped much the same and use heat exchangers, but I am not sure the the long term effect would be on the boiler. Definitely use the O2 barrier for pressurized piping.

Yes I have an unpressurized OWB. I bought it used so I don't have a lot in the boiler itself. I thought I would try it for a while and see how it goes burning wood. Then maybe in a few years go to a cleaner more efficient type.

So I need to do the pipe install the proper way to allow that in the future. Or maybe just do it now.

If I sell the used unit I have and buy something that fits the tax credit it would make a dent in the purchase price. If I buy something that smokes less I could build a small building near my garage and also save quite a bit on the under ground pipe. I could cut the underground down to less than 50 feet.

I am not real sure I like the idea of a pressurized system I have to research that more. I work 24 hour shifts so my wife would have to deal with it when I am gone unless I can get enough storage to go a full 24 when it is sub zero on the coldest days.

gg

goosegunner said:
I work 24 hour shifts so my wife would have to deal with it when I am gone unless I can get enough storage to go a full 24 when it is sub zero on the coldest days.

gg

Then that should be your design goal. Do a heat loss calc and then size your tank and boiler accordingly. You will want a boiler sized larger than your load to make sure you can charge that tank and make it the full 24 hours.

Pressurized systems work at about 16 psi and being pressurized does not add any danger to a system. Most hydronic heating systems are pressurized and the pressure is way less than runs through your DHW...

While installation in the attached garage would be nice check with the local building dept and with your insurance folks to make sure you know if it's allowed and whats required. Most times in a garage you wiould need a seperate room built to fire code and sometimes even an individual outdoor enterance. You need O2 barrier pipe and pressurized would be the standard setup. I have the boiler in an shed 75' from the house with press ststem and an HX in my forced air furnace and it works great.

I should have given more detail about attached garage. It would be an addition to my current attached garage. I would not store gasoline powered equipment in the area and it would have separate service doors.

As I think this over more I think it would be best to have a small boiler building like you mention. Could be pretty small right since the gasifiers don't burn much wood. Boiler, storage tank and a couple of cords of wood?

gg

goosegunner said:
I should have given more detail about attached garage. It would be an addition to my current attached garage. I would not store gasoline powered equipment in the area and it would have separate service doors.

As I think this over more I think it would be best to have a small boiler building like you mention. Could be pretty small right since the gasifiers don't burn much wood. Boiler, storage tank and a couple of cords of wood?

gg

I'm putting mine in a 8' x 12' shed. So yeah, don't need a bunch of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.